Apparently REAL EP-630s on Ebay for $10!
Dec 31, 2008 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Bigfieroman

Head-Fier
I ordered some EP-630s from EBAY about 5 minutes before reading all the horror stories about fake ones. I was pretty upset...but when these arrived, I was pretty well convinced that they were REAL!

Can anyone tell for sure? They sure look real to me, and do not have any of the features of the fake ones seen in other threads.

S1050226Large.jpg

S1050227Large.jpg

S1050232Large.jpg

S1050233.jpg

S1050236.jpg

I got them from here:

CREATIVE EP630 EARPHONE FOR IPOD, MP3, ZEN AND MORE - eBay (item 160303854567 end time Jan-07-09 20:53:07 PST)

Ebay seller is headphone_store.

Dec 31, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 14
well considering amazon sells those for $30 its not too hard to believe that they can go for $10 on ebay

Jan 1, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #4 of 14
The groove on the metal ring of mine may be slightly shallower than the ones from the Creative website. Also, the radius on the front of the ring may be slightly tighter on mine...but the "real" photo doesn't have the logo on the back of the drivers like all EP-630s do, so I don't know that it is conclusive just yet. I dunno...I guess I would have to have some known real units and try/examine them side by side to say for sure, but if these are copies, someone really spent their time getting it right.

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigfieroman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would have to have some known real units and try/examine them side by side to say for sure

Yes, side by side under the same lighting, the answer should be obvious. You could just go to a local shop, and look through the packaging to make the comparison.
Quote:

if these are copies, someone really spent their time getting it right

I agree, but we know that such accurate fakes are possible (see Sennheiser).
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its not too hard to believe that they can go for $10 on ebay

Of course, but it has nothing to do with the price. The problem is that Creative EP-630 are massively counterfeited, and many fakes end up on eBay. Look at this: DHgate.com - EP-630.

Jan 1, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 14
Lets try this a different way. The only documentation that came with them was a slip of paper about the WEEE, some electronics recycling thing. Are they supposed to have a warranty or instructions?

Also, it said on the box that Creative was based in Ireland, and that the phones were made in China...are the real ones made there?

Also, anyone know what retail stores carry these? I couldn't find them in Best Buy.

By the way, thank you all for the assistance!

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #7 of 14
bump

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #8 of 14
Most earphones/headphones are made in China and the EP-630 is no exception.

Mine came with my Dell laptop so there wasn't any retail packaging. Accessories should include a black pouch. An assortment of different size tips. It should have a gold connection. (which you have)

Seems so far so good.

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 14
Mine came with the tips, but no pouch.

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #11 of 14
I have a pair of EP-630 that I bought directly from Creative. The metal rim on mine look exactly like the pictures in this thread (at least to me). Although I liked them when I used them - that was before I got my UM1 & IM-716. Now when I compare them directly, the EP-630 seems very muddy with much less clarity. Still, they are much better than the Koss Sparkplugs I had before that!

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Also, it said on the box that Creative was based in Ireland, and that the phones were made in China...are the real ones made there?

Also, anyone know what retail stores carry these? I couldn't find them in Best Buy.

By the way, thank you all for the assistance!

AFAIK, Creative is from Singapore, but they do have an ireland website and probably an ireland office.

They've phased this model mostly out, focusing more on the 830 I believe...

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #14 of 14
Comparing the last image to my EP-630, it appears a bit off. Like the metal is a bit uneven and shows some gaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back