Apogee Speakers R.I.P./Is this a sign from above?
Nov 9, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #16 of 19
You should get a pair of Newform Research R645. They're a 91db efficient ribbon speaker with regular cone (dynamic) mid bass speakers and a great crossover. Really a nice, sweet but very full sound. I've had a pair for years, and love them! They used to be $2,265 new, but are now $3,568 new for the latest model (although the older model is what I have and I swear by them for anyone who wants the overall "feel" of elctrostats without giving up any bass at all). I always got a kick out of their oddball pricing.

You can sometimes find a used pair on Audiogon for much less (as I did way back when). Actually, there is a pair available now! These are show stoppers and from everything you've described, I know you wouldn't be disappointed with them. AudiogoN ForSale: Newform Reseach R645

The price for a new pair is really quite low because the Canadian company that makes them prides themselves on keeping their cost down, and only sells factory direct (in furtherance of their low cost, high quality commitment).

Because they're so efficient, practically any decent amp will drive them effortlessly. I always used Bel Canto digital amps and the match was perfect. The mid bass units are quite solid, so I suspect they would be safe around kids. Plus the ribbons themselves are well protected, so a kid would have to be trying to damage them to cause any serious problem.

The only drawback I ever had with them is that they kind of looked like goal posts. Not the most attractive design, but they sure sound good and are not in the slightest degree bass shy like my Maggies and Martin Logans are. No subwoofer needed, and my listening room is 15' x 35'.

As you'll see from their website, it's a home brew approach. No fluff at all from a marketing standpoint. They kind of do what they do and don't worry too much about fitting into a mold. http://www.newformresearch.com/

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #17 of 19
I have heard a lot of suggestions to equal the sound of the Apogees, but have not heard anyone say I could do much better.

I think the best solution is to quit being so lazy, buy the $250 ribbons and find a tech to come over, or dig up my old soldering iron and just do it myself. What better deal could I get than to have a nice pair of Apogees for that price and a few hours of time? What kind of Head Fier am I if I can't open something up and do some soldering?! It'll be fun!
angry_face.gif

Thanks everyone, you are all so helpful!

Nov 22, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #18 of 19
Hello

Found this thread, and just wanted to clear up a few details!

1) 26-6 ribbons have circuit boards attached to them, and that's how I supply them. They are relatively easy to fit but require patience, and basic solder skill to attach. They were used in several Apogee's, and I offer them in 2 versions, KLM and XLM series. Both are upgrades over the original ribbons.

2) Centaur/Centaur Minors do attract children! The best cure is to fit a wrap of bug screen around the ribbon frame. This improves the sound too, a cheap upgrade.

3) Centaur MRTW ribbons come with a detailed html instruction manual to guide you through the repair.

4) Historical - 26-6 ribbons were available from the old Apogee Acoustics company for about $200/pair plus post - in the mid 90's!!! In 2008/9 times, and tolerances move on! As mentioned Bob D has some nos I believe, that he inherited when the old company closed a decade ago.

All Apogee MRTW's are available from me, new stock (not nos), made to accurate tolerances. Bass ribbons are only available for installers to fit, due to increased difficulty of installation.

Repairs / Apogeeribbons

Take care - Graz

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #19 of 19
Hi,
Just for the record.
Ribbons, new ribbons with the actual specs from the original Apogee Acoustics, are available from Rob Dragunas.
rdragunas@yahoo.com
Apogee did not go out of business after being sued by Magnapan.
Apogee was purchased by ADS and then in a blinding flash, ADS flushed Apogee down the toilet due to gross miss management and poor customer service.
After 13 yrs with Apogee, I can safely say that the 2 yrs I spent at ADS were hell.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back