Apogee ONE + Amp? External Amp + uDAC?
Oct 1, 2011 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Torontoraccoon

100+ Head-Fier

Hello Dear Head-FIers.

I have the CLAS and I guess I like it for portable use.. but it does not work with Mac's and I need a DAC to go around with my Macbook Air.

I just got a Apogee ONE from apple, and I am curious can I use an external amp with it and use it just as a DAC?

I need to drive my HD800's since thats what I use mobile. Anyone tried these?

Regards,

Alex

PS: Can you run an external amp with a uDAC?

Oct 2, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 3
Are you planning on using a portable amplifier with the Apogee ONE? If so, it will work fine as a DAC, though you may need to turn the volume level on the Apogee ONE to -12 db or so to avoid overloading the input on the portable amp.  If you are planning on using a home amplifier with the ONE, it may cause a ground loop (characterized by a buzzing sound) depending on the susceptibility to ground loops of the amp.  The Meier Audio Corda Arietta I have worked well with the ONE, using a good quality Mini to RCA cable, and I have a feeling other Meier home headphone amps will work as well, as does their portable amps, like the Stepdance series, and Move series, among others.

--Eric

Oct 2, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 3
You'll still technically be using two gain-stages, but it sounds great with a lot of amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back