Apogee Mini-Dac WOW!
Mar 21, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #32 of 70
@vcoheda: you are most probably right, I was contemplating the idea of buying a Mini-Dac at that time, but I still think it's not acceptable to receive such erroneous pieces of information.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alucard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So does the coax sound better than the usb input or in which way do they sound different?

Coax is slightly better - more impactful and better defined (USB with ASIO, etc.). The difference is small but noticeable - OTOH, USB does not sound offensive by any means, the sound has the same basic character (unlike the 1/8 and the XLR outputs, which do have a different sound character), only somewhat more veiled and just a bit smoothed out. At first audition I thought they sound pretty much the same, but they don't. With a nice ~$1000+ Studer professional CD player as a transport the gap between the two widened.

As a side note, I know this is a hot topic, but just as I hear a sound difference between cyanine and phtalocyanine based CDR's, I also hear a difference between the foobar's Kernel Streaming and ASIO (kernel is in this case a bit smoothed out by comparison, while ASIO is more precise and more transparent - I hope I remember correctly, I have done this comparison almost a year ago and I'm too lazy to check it again right now).

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #33 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Quichotte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coax is slightly better - more impactful and better defined (USB with ASIO, etc.). The difference is small but noticeable - OTOH, USB does not sound offensive by any means, the sound has the same basic character (unlike the 1/8 and the XLR outputs, which do have a different sound character), only somewhat more veiled and just a bit smoothed out.

Thanks, great to know. But it looks like I might have to get the firewire version now, if I decide to get one. As your unit seems to be taken. :p

Mar 23, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #34 of 70
Quote:

Thanks, great to know. But it looks like I might have to get the firewire version now, if I decide to get one. As your unit seems to be taken. :p

The USB version is not being dicontinued but will be available in smaller quantities. So you may have to look around to get one, but it should and, according to Apogee, will still be available for purchase.

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #35 of 70
I meant that it looks like I have to buy a new unit. And then I would chose the firewire version over the usb. (As they seem to cost the same from what I've seen)
Maybe I should have been more clear.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #36 of 70
Quote:

I meant that it looks like I have to buy a new unit. And then I would chose the firewire version over the usb. (As they seem to cost the same from what I've seen)
Maybe I should have been more clear.
smily_headphones1.gif

I see.
icon10.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #39 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just realized something on the Apogee Mini-DAC. The volume goes to 11!
etysmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow!!! Now I'm sold!!
k1000smile.gif

From the Mini-DAC owner's manual:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mini-DAC
This knob always controls the Output level; the knob also controls the XLR ANALOG and 1/8” LINE OUT output levels when each output’s internal jumper is set to VAR. And of course, the knob goes to 11.

Perhaps the defining feature ...
cool.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #41 of 70
Good price. I get a little bit scared by the "usually ships in 2-3 weeks" and that it's a special order, especially when I don't know anything about the vendor, will have to look into them. Thanks for the tip anyway!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #42 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good price. I get a little bit scared by the "usually ships in 2-3 weeks" and that it's a special order, especially when I don't know anything about the vendor, will have to look into them. Thanks for the tip anyway!
smily_headphones1.gif

x2. And two extra questions:

1. Are the USB and Firewire "expansions"(Full Compass Lingo)/"option cards"(Apogee official language) outboard or are users required to open up the unit and plug it it?

2. I'm assuming it comes with an 220-240V compatible power supply right? just checked on Apogee website. Answer is YES!

$651.55 shipped within US for the MiniDAC without USB or Firewire. Shipping to the UK will cost around $40-50 by EMS. I'm looking at about $700 delivered to the UK if a Head-Fi'er is willing to help me out
tongue.gif
Seems like a very attractive deal! *must resist*

Mar 26, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #43 of 70
Wow that's a very nice price. Thanks for telling!

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$651.55 shipped within US for the MiniDAC without USB or Firewire. Shipping to the UK will cost around $40-50 by EMS. I'm looking at about $700 delivered to the UK if a Head-Fi'er is willing to help me out
tongue.gif
Seems like a very attractive deal! *must resist*

Where did you find the shipping rates for the UK? I cant find any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back