Apogee Mini-Dac WOW!
Mar 6, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #16 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alucard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I made some reading on usb vs firewire and firewire seems better on everything. Less cpu intensive and will send data regardless of if the cpu is busy or not, so less pops and crackles.

With ASIO I've never had any pops and crackles from my mini-dac. OTOH, the ability to send 192kHz to the dac could be an advantage, but only if you have enough high resolution PCM encoded music.

Mar 6, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #17 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Quichotte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With ASIO I've never had any pops and crackles from my mini-dac. OTOH, the ability to send 192kHz to the dac could be an advantage, but only if you have enough high resolution PCM encoded music.

I saw I was wrong on the 192kHz part, it should be 96kHz. Sorry.
smily_headphones1.gif

But it's better still, I found one store where you could (pre?)order them and the price was the same as the usb version.

Mar 18, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #18 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And via jumper settings you can make the line out indepedant from the pottie, which is what I use for powering my active monitors.

You do this by setting the 1/8 internal jumper from VAR to FIX, right. Setting the 1/8 jumper to FIX creates a true line out which is what you want for connecting the mini-dac to an amp. Is this correct?

Quote:

Originally Posted by calcajun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Extreme fed by xlr to rca.

When using the XLR to RCA connection, did you leave the internal XLR jumpers on VAR or change them to TRIM?

Mar 18, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #19 of 70
Quote:

I saw I was wrong on the 192kHz part, it should be 96kHz. Sorry.
smily_headphones1.gif

But it's better still, I found one store where you could (pre?)order them and the price was the same as the usb version.

How much is it in Sweden? I'm always eyeing one of these but the UK price is pretty high: 675GBP/1.3kUSD/985EUR.

Mar 18, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #20 of 70
The price in regular pro-musician stores is about the same. The cheapest I could find with shipping to Sweden (and UK) is this one for a bit under €900 (incl shipping and VAT):
http://www.playback-europe.com/apoge..._dac-9463.html

I'm going to NYC in 5 weeks so I'm contemplating picking one up there, hoping the security people at Newark won't get too suspicious...

Edit: I'm talking about the non USB/firewire versions btw. The USB/firewire versions are around $1600 recommended retail price so I guess there is room for lower street price.

Mar 18, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #21 of 70
I think the cheapest place to get the USB-version in Sweden is www.thomann.de
But that's a German site shipping to Sweden (amongst others)

Mar 18, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #22 of 70
I would really like to get one but if I'm to buy any more audio equipment it will be a new stereo system for my living room. If you think CRAP and then multiply that with 10, that’s how bad it sounds right now. :/

Mar 18, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #23 of 70
Quote:

I think the cheapest place to get the USB-version in Sweden is www.thomann.de
But that's a German site shipping to Sweden (amongst others)

I guess the cheapest would be to buy mine, but that's just me
tongue.gif

Now, besides the shameless advertising, one question arises: if you need a stereo system, wouldn't a source have a place in it? A volume controlled dac + a pair of powered monitors is a very cost effective way to build a stereo system, especially for a small to medium sized room. Or you need to spend the price of the mini-dac for the whole stereo system?

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #24 of 70
I asked them the following questions:
Q: When using the Mini-DAC with a dedicated headphone amp, is it better to use an XLR to RCA cable or a 1/8 to RCA cable. Which should provide better sound.

R: Either of these configurations is acceptable.

Q: For an XLR to RCA connection, is it better to have the XLR internal jumpers set at VAR or TRIM? And for a 1/8 to RCA connection, which is better. Setting the jumpers to VAR or FIX?

R: Due to the different input impedances of what you could be connected to, I would recommend keeping these jumpers on VAR.

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #25 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked them the following questions:
Q: When using the Mini-DAC with a dedicated headphone amp, is it better to use an XLR to RCA cable or a 1/8 to RCA cable. Which should provide better sound.

R: Either of these configurations is acceptable.

Q: For an XLR to RCA connection, is it better to have the XLR internal jumpers set at VAR or TRIM? And for a 1/8 to RCA connection, which is better. Setting the jumpers to VAR or FIX?

R: Due to the different input impedances of what you could be connected to, I would recommend keeping these jumpers on VAR.

When I bought the Mini-dac, the Apogee representative told me that the 1/8 and the zlr outputs sound identical, which is far from truth. He also answered me ineactly or simply avoided some of my questions, so I had to conclude that he had no idea what he was talking about. Maybe I'm harsh, but it was so disappointing!

Mar 19, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #26 of 70
Quote:

When I bought the Mini-dac, the Apogee representative told me that the 1/8 and the zlr outputs sound identical, which is far from truth. He also answered me ineactly or simply avoided some of my questions, so I had to conclude that he had no idea what he was talking about. Maybe I'm harsh, but it was so disappointing!

I'll probably still going to toy around with the different configurations (XRL or 1/8) and jumper settings, but I'm going to assume, for now, that the Apogee people are competent enough to speak about their own products. Plus, I've heard conflicting things from owners. Some say no difference between XLR and 1/8. Others say there is one. Same goes with the different jumper settings. Should have everything I need by the end of the week. So I guess I just have to find out for myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #27 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll probably still going to toy around with the different configurations (XRL or 1/8) and jumper settings, but I'm going to assume, for now, that the Apogee people are competent enough to speak about their own products. Plus, I've heard conflicting things from owners. Some say no difference between XLR and 1/8. Others say there is one. Same goes with the different jumper settings. Should have everything I need by the end of the week. So I guess I just have to find out for myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Trying for yourself is the best idea anyway.

I just remembered two other inexact pieces of information I got from the Apogee guy: he said the Mini-Dac features a "high quality Swiss made potentiometer" (it's an ALPS, which is a Japanese company; I kind of doubt there is an ALPS plant in Switzerland) and that the Mini-Dac's jitter reduction mechanisms make the USB, coaxial and optical inputs sound just as good (which is not the case, at least the USB and the coaxial SPDIF inputs sound different and everybody else who tried them came to the same conclusion; haven't tried the optical). I know I should just let go of this matter, but I was so angry at that time and I find it simply inexcusable from such a reputable company. I just wanted some information and instead I got this load of marketing s**t.

Mar 20, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #28 of 70
Quote:

I just remembered two other inexact pieces of information I got from the Apogee guy: he said the Mini-Dac features a "high quality Swiss made potentiometer" (it's an ALPS, which is a Japanese company; I kind of doubt there is an ALPS plant in Switzerland) and that the Mini-Dac's jitter reduction mechanisms make the USB, coaxial and optical inputs sound just as good (which is not the case, at least the USB and the coaxial SPDIF inputs sound different and everybody else who tried them came to the same conclusion; haven't tried the optical). I know I should just let go of this matter, but I was so angry at that time and I find it simply inexcusable from such a reputable company. I just wanted some information and instead I got this load of marketing s**t.

I can see why you would be a little annoyed. Did you make it clear that you already owned the Apogee when you were asking your questions or was this when you were contemplating the purchase. When I emailed Apogee, I told them I had purchased the Mini-DAC and had some questions. I thought their answers were pretty direct and to the point, although more elaboration would have been nice. I also sent an email or two to Benchmark. In those emails I said I was considering purchasing a DAC1. I found their answers to be a combination of good information and marketing hype. This may explain some of what went on in your situation. Maybe not. Don't know.

But you are right. I just have to toy around with the Apogee and use whatever configuration and settings I think sound best. Hopefully I will have everything by the weekend. We'll see.

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #29 of 70
Quote:

So does the coax sound better than the usb input or in which way do they sound different?

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #30 of 70
The vendor where I placed my order for my Mini DAC USB told me that Apogee has discontinued the UBS version in favor of FireWire (says it is superior). I ran some searches comparing the two and FireWire seems better in terms of processing data (faster). Have no idea if this will have any impact on the music though. I suspect not. But I don't know. He tried to get me to order than one instead. Despite his persistence, I cancelled my order. I sent an email to Apogee to confirm this information. But it may be true as I found a similar statement - that the USB version has been discontinued - from another vendor.

So the question is: What do I do know. I looked over my Dell computer carefully and don't see a FireWire Port. My computer is only a year old, but I know that they are not common. I read one computer site that said if you did not specify a FireWire port, you probably don't have one. And on the Dell website, the IEEE port is listed as "optional" on their top models. So now I have no DAC. Do I try to purchase a discontinued Mini-DAC USB, go FireWire, or get a Benchmark DAC1 USB?

Also, what is the easiest way to get FireWire connectivity on my computer. What would I have to purchase. Provide links if possible.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back