Apogee mini-dac - what does yours rest on ?
Sep 10, 2007 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Spiug31

100+ Head-Fier
I am wondering what solutions people have that found that bring out the best in their mini-dacs.

I can think of many options (spikes, sandboxes, vibrapods, stillpoint frames, wooden blocks, sorbothane, pucks etc.) what have you found that does the trick ?

Sep 11, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 8
Haven't tried resting the dac on anything, but something that does help is clean DC power. The included AC/DC convertor is decent, but a regulated PS does wonders. For the best, run it off batteries.

Sep 12, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #4 of 8
I didn't anticipate "needing" anything to put it on, until I received it, and noticed that it had no feet. Fortunately the ol' roomful of packing materials came in handy:

RAW_DSC0027.jpg

Works for me, eh?
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #6 of 8
Nice pic Iron_Dreamer. I find the Mini-Dac such a beautiful piece of gear. It took me a while to get used to it, but now I love it. Not that I have one, but I wish I did.

I still have a question about it though, does it upsample? I can't find this info anywhere, so I assume it doesn't. Does it use frequency multipliers instead to handle the different sample rates?

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice pic Iron_Dreamer. I find the Mini-Dac such a beautiful piece of gear. It took me a while to get used to it, but now I love it. Not that I have one, but I wish I did.

I still have a question about it though, does it upsample? I can't find this info anywhere, so I assume it doesn't. Does it use frequency multipliers instead to handle the different sample rates?

I believe it does upsample, as it has an AD1896 inside. To what frequency, I'm not sure. Much like the DAC1 in that it has up/re sampling but it's not much marketed or mentioned (pro-audio crowd doesn't much care, I guess).

It's certainly an unusual looking little piece of gear. Good thing I like purple!
biggrin.gif
Although I think it looks much better like this:

RAW_DSC0026.jpg

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe it does upsample, as it has an AD1896 inside. To what frequency, I'm not sure. Much like the DAC1 in that it has up/re sampling but it's not much marketed or mentioned (pro-audio crowd doesn't much care, I guess).

It's certainly an unusual looking little piece of gear. Good thing I like purple!
biggrin.gif
Although I think it looks much better like this:

RAW_DSC0026.jpg

:envy:
Soooo jealous.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back