Apogee Mini-DAC ticking sound when turned on... FIXED (power supply was dead)
Jan 1, 2010 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Dzjudz

Headphoneus Supremus
Since a few days, my Apogee Mini-DAC is exhibiting a very strange issue.

Everytime I turn it on after it's been turned off for a while (it doesn't when I turn it off and turn it on again a few seconds later) it does the following:

All 8 lights flicker simultaneously and fast (not alternating like when there is no input signal but together). When the power switch is on the headphone position (middle) it just flickers. When the power switch is on the 'all' position (right) it also makes an audible ticking noise together with the flickering lights.

This flickering persists for a while (15-20 seconds), then it sort of dies and the DAC returns to normal. A couple of seconds later it starts flickering again for a second and the DAC returns to normal again. After that, the DAC functions normally for as long as it's turned on.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? What do you think causes it?

Jan 2, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 8
I would call Apogee, I've only used their costumer support once, they were helpful.
To me sounds like a loose connection. When it warms, the the contacts meet, but cold they don't fit tight, possibly causing the click.
One thing you could try is using a cheap volt meter, set on ohm, and see if you can narrow down a weak signal. But unless you're familiar with doing so, I would hold off on that.

Jan 2, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 8
Sounds very plausible, thanks. I will contact Apogee, haven't gotten around to it yet. I don't have warranty or anything (it's old and I got it second-hand from a head-fier).

Jan 2, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 8
Could be mobo/psu noise polluting the optical output or a poor connection (dirty or scratched lens on the optical cable) contributing to a digital lock issue although that would remain somewhat constant rather than go away after a period of use.

I agree with the other members about contacting Apogee...they may have had a run of units with faulty parts installed...that happens from time to time.

Peete.

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could be mobo/psu noise polluting the optical output or a poor connection (dirty or scratched lens on the optical cable) contributing to a digital lock issue although that would remain somewhat constant rather than go away after a period of use.

I agree with the other members about contacting Apogee...they may have had a run of units with faulty parts installed...that happens from time to time.

Peete.

Agreed. Try swapping cables, cleaning contacts, etc. But yes, it would most likely be an ongoing issue with certain things, that's why I mentioned my "heat" theory. It's common with video and audio issues in computers when cards aren't seated right.

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #6 of 8
It's not the cables, it also does it without anything connected. I'm opening it up once I find my torx screwdriver. I'm guessing the jumpers or something might be the problem. Thanks for the help guys.

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #8 of 8
I didn't have a 1/16" hex key and my torx screwdriver fits. But I couldn't find it so I just went out and bought a 1.5mm hex key (1/16").

I opened it up to see what's wrong. Turns out there's probably something wrong with the power supply inside the DAC. The light at part D9 usually only flickers once quickly when turned on. Now, however, it keeps flickering with the ticking noise. I think there is something wrong with the power therefore.

I contacted Apogee.

Edit: already got a couple of replies from Apogee. They seem to think the external power supply is borked. They offered one for 25 dollars but said I could use any with the same specs. So I'll try that now and see what happens
biggrin.gif
. Fast customer service
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit2: had a spare power supply lying around that fit. Fixed!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back