Apogee Electronics Mini DAC
Mar 17, 2006 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Outono Noite

New Head-Fier
I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with this DAC. When I used to do recording, this was almost, if not, the top of the line DAC available. Sure, it costs a measely $999, but the sound is out of this world if you have the hardware to make it work well.

Anyway, any thoughts?

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 14
this DAC is very well received here. it has a nice warm tone that marries well with John Grado cans using the DAC's headphone out.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #3 of 14
hey, did you do your search on the forum
tongue.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 9:11 AM Post #4 of 14
The MiniDAC is one of my best audio purchases. I prefer it over the Benchmark. It has a more relaxing, full, analog sound.

It works great with every Grado straight from the jack (The SR225 and RS1 had a tad better sinergy than the PS-1). The L3000 too. I prefer to run the L3000 straight from the MiniDAC instead of MiniDAC>EMP AE(well regarded amp around here)>L3000. Some people say it works great with Qualia and CD3000 although I didn't get to hear it.

And it's so small and convenient... It's exactly what I was looking for. I wish they were high-end DACs with a similar form/convenience-factor.

Cheers.

Mar 18, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 14
Ditto on Nomads comments. I absolutely love my Mini-DAC. You could probably fight my DAC1 away from me, but you'd have to pull the Mini-DAC out of my cold dead hands. It works with all of the headphones in my collection incredibly well. It did need a good 150 hours of burn-in though. If you search my posting history you will see extensive remarks about the Mini-DAC.

Mar 18, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 14
I have my Mini-DAC hooked up to my pc via USB and then routed to the Perreaux SXH2 via a ZU mini to RCA y-adaptor and then finally outputted to the Sony MDR-CD3000. After 300 hours of continuous burn-in, this combination is simply DELICIOUS!!!!
3000smile.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 14
I loved mine as well when I had it, and my experience with it mirrors that of Nomad's, as far as using it with Grados is concerned.

There's a DAC1 and Mini-DAC comparison thread somewhere in the forum. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #8 of 14
The MiniDAC was going to be my next audio purchase until I got an Adcom GCD-750, which has a digital in. It really is aimed at the pro market, and has "zero bullpuckey" factor as well as exceptional price/performance.
In the event that the Adcom ever leaves this current location, it's logical replacement would be a MiniDAC.

Jan 7, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by educator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know how the mini-dac does usb? Does it convert usb to spdif or direct to i2s?

Great question and one I would love to know the answer to as I've been looking at usb to IS2 DACs. Please keep me informed if you learn anything of it.

Jan 7, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #11 of 14
Don't forget that it is also portable. You can go completely on battery by itself. Get the battery pack and carrier when you get it as well as the USB interface. Great combination....

But I ended up with a Lavry DA10 and don't feel sorry...

But the Apogee Mini-Dac is one fine piece of equipment.

Jan 7, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #12 of 14
I got a sweet deal on a brand new DAC1 that I couldn't turn down, figured if I didn't like it I could turn it around for what I paid for it, so it was basically a free trial. It's a keeper though. I didn't do any listening tests before hand though, because at the price I paid I figured it was a free trial if I didn't like it. So I haven't tested the Benchmark against the Apoggee, but I'd be real interested to hear them side by side. I do have to say that I love my DAC1, although from some of the posts I've read DAC1 seems to be much more appreciated with loudspeakers, which is how I'm using mine. From what I've read, looks like when I go pounce on some more headphone gear I should go with a tube amp to pair with the DAC1 to warm it up.

Jan 7, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #14 of 14
So i found Sweetwater price is 719 and another place is 715. That is without USB option. I am not interested in the usb option. Anyone know where i might even find a better price?
I did not order it now cause i will wait till tomorow and call to be shure in stock and go out quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back