Apogee Duet
Oct 20, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #16 of 36
Looks pretty good. It reminds me of the Mackie Big Knob. The price point is much more accessible than the mini dac, especially mini dac w/ USB or Firewire. I wonder how the quality of the power section is.

One caveat for me would be the limited expansion of interconnects, due to the proprietary breakout cable.

duet_gallery6_lg.jpg

I would have considered this for office duty, had it been PC compliant.

The fact that it is mac-only (especially since mac is now intel based) tells me this is largely targeted towards the recording market.

Oct 20, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #17 of 36
I really like this one, good design, drivers for my mac... but i cant listen to it anywere... so please, someone buy it and tell me if i should.. or if i just should buy the uglu echo 2...

Oct 21, 2007 at 8:19 AM Post #18 of 36
i'm curious if this could be used as a dac only.
will a 1/4" to rca cable allow you to hook this up to any amp?

if the dac section compares favorably to the mini-dac, and if it can be linked to an amp, with the option to use as pre-amp and headamp on its own, it's an intriguing product.

it might be fun to plug a guitar in as well.

Oct 21, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by raelamb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It works seemlessly with my itunes, all files ripped in Apple lossless. Haven't AB'd the headphone out yet with my Tomahawk cause I'm too blown away by what it's doing to my NHT's! Will report back soon.

Thanks looking forward to the comparison.

Jan 12, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #20 of 36
Hey raelamb, have you compared the duet to any hi-end sources?

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhaedrusX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm curious if this could be used as a dac only.
will a 1/4" to rca cable allow you to hook this up to any amp?

if the dac section compares favorably to the mini-dac, and if it can be linked to an amp, with the option to use as pre-amp and headamp on its own, it's an intriguing product.

it might be fun to plug a guitar in as well.

I'm also interested in this.
How do you connect the Duet to an external amp?

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by indysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif

img0044ro9.jpg

Mar 8, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by indysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif

An alternative to TS-to-RCA cables, if you have a set of RCA-to-RCA cables that you like, is a set of adapters:

369843jpg.jpg

Those are available at Guitar Center, but almost any pro audio gear vendor or RadioShack has them.

Mar 9, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #25 of 36
well... that was also my first thought, as I'm typically a pc user...

and... ... a lot of people is being saying the same about the customer service! that's outrageous for the price tags and markets they are aiming for!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be of great interest to me if a PC compatible version is released, as I'll always have to use a PC notebook for business needs.

I sent a message to Apogee a while back asking if they planned to offer a similar product compatible with PC's, but got no answer.....all I got earlier this year were vague and/or incorrect answers to other questions about the Mini-DAC FW availability from them, so maybe that's to be expected from Apogee. I'm quite unimpressed by their customer service at this point.

Mar 9, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #26 of 36
but does anyone know if will be a version for Windows? or if there is a emulator for it?

Cheers!

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

They finally told me that no, there will be no Duet for Windows--the design is fundamentally not compatible, I guess.

If PC sports firewire port, that just matter of windows compatible drivers.

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If PC sports firewire port, that just matter of windows compatible drivers.

mmmmmm ... not exactly. The Apple firewire ports are all 6 pin (or more if FW800), so power is included in the interface, and that is CRITICAL for the Apogee Duet (and many other FW devices). Most Wintel PC 1394 (aka FireWire) interfaces are just 4 pins, lacking the power that some devices require. The Wintel 1394 4 pin i/o is mostly for cameras ... blame Sony.
eek.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

An alternative to TS-to-RCA cables, if you have a set of RCA-to-RCA cables that you like, is a set of adapters:

There are also other ways of getting the Duet to do what you want it to.
wink.gif

92400711.jpg

92801999.jpg

All of the parts to make a custom breakout cable can be found at your local radio shack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back