Apogee Duet
Oct 17, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 36
I'll let you know once I can afford it.. so sometime early next year :p

Oct 17, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 36
it looks cool but it seems that you have to use it with your laptop to power it, so can't be used with a DAP. plus firewire?

i don't see head-fiers having much use for this thing.

Oct 17, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 36
I won't be using it for my portable rig. It will be part of my "home" stereo. MacBook feeding NHT PRO self powered speakers. Seems like it's the ultimate "soundcard" solution.

Oct 17, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #5 of 36
It would be of great interest to me if a PC compatible version is released, as I'll always have to use a PC notebook for business needs.

I sent a message to Apogee a while back asking if they planned to offer a similar product compatible with PC's, but got no answer.....all I got earlier this year were vague and/or incorrect answers to other questions about the Mini-DAC FW availability from them, so maybe that's to be expected from Apogee. I'm quite unimpressed by their customer service at this point.

Oct 18, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 36
Just got the Duet and hooked it up to my MacBook. Plugged in the RS-1's and I am in Heaven. I strongly recommend this product to all Mac users.

Oct 18, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #7 of 36
I just wish it has balanced output. That would be perfect.

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by raelamb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got the Duet and hooked it up to my MacBook. Plugged in the RS-1's and I am in Heaven. I strongly recommend this product to all Mac users.

How is the headphone amp in it? Does it have much power?

Oct 18, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #9 of 36
Plenty of power out of the headphone and I like it loud. Prior to discovering Head-Fi my un-aided Ipod and Sony MDR-V6 headphones were always on full volume. My RS-1's sound wonderful out of the Duet headphone jack but what's really blowing me away is what the Duet has done for my speakers. I can't believe the change in sound!

Oct 18, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #10 of 36
Is the Duet on par with top portables like your Ray Samuels as a headphone amp? How about compared to a good desktop amp? I'm getting one to use for portable mixing/engineering, but want to know if the headphone amp is good enough to compete with dedicated units.

Oct 19, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #13 of 36
This may sound stupid but is there a chance Apple abandons Firewire? I know a lot of people Apple users got pissed when the next generation of Ipods came out and could only be used with USB. In that case it made sense due to the PC users.

Oct 19, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by raelamb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How do you find it works with Itunes? Is it buggy at all? I am finding the Apogee may be a much better choice for me then the new headroom stand alone micro DACS!

Oct 20, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #15 of 36
It works seemlessly with my itunes, all files ripped in Apple lossless. Haven't AB'd the headphone out yet with my Tomahawk cause I'm too blown away by what it's doing to my NHT's! Will report back soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back