Apogee duet vs XCan V8p ....some advice please!
Aug 25, 2010 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

dshook

New Head-Fier
Hello beautiful people,

I am seeking some advice about where to spend some money next in my rig.  I am working from a CD collection as well as a bunch of digitized music on my Mac Mini, and listening through some k701s and a decent high end Yamaha integrated/Paradigm speaker setup.  I am considering either a Apogee duet, or an X-Can v8p.  

I know the duet has a killer dac and would work beautifully with my Mac but I don't have the coin for a seperate head amp right now and I understand it doesn't drive heavy phones like my 701s very well.  If I went this way it wouldn't be a problem for me to digitize the rest of my collection and go purely from the Mac.  

On the other hand I know the XCan is a killer amp with these although the DAC is not up to the Duet's standard.  I would also be piping the pre out/line out of whatever I buy into my speaker setup, which actually sounds pretty good thanks to the "pure direct" feature on my receiver.  I am hoping if I get the Xcan, it might improve my cd setup at the same time by using it as a preamp. 

I know ideally I should get both, and maybe eventually I will, but where should the money go first?  

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back