Apodizing filter
Feb 25, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #136 of 221
Beethoven had already established himself as a composer by the time his hearing started to deteriorate.
But nevertheless managed to maintain his career after it did and arguably produced some of his best works. There are numerous other artists who’ve maintained a career after severe hearing loss. In addition, there are quite a number of musicians who lost their hearing before establishing their career, the aforementioned Evelyn Glennie probably being the most obvious example (profoundly deaf at age 12) but there are a number who lost their hearing in their teens.
The usual response. Irrelevancies and responding to things the other person never said.
Indeed, so why do you? That really is an absolute classic, because:
anyone who says "science doesn't know everything" is fallacious isn't worth taking seriously. … I am glad you admitted aamps don't sound the same, though.
How is the “science doesn’t know everything” fallacy in any way relevant and I did NOT admit that amps don’t sound the same! This would be funny enough on it’s own but being the VERY NEXT sentences after the criticism of “Irrelevancies and responding to things the other person said” is just truly awesome, very well done!! rofl

G

Feb 25, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #137 of 221
I totally agree that we’re living through a golden age of media availability. I remember when I started out in the 1970s. I could only dream of things we take for granted now.

I also agree that turning electronics into a luxury product is silly. Electronics today are cheap and powerful. Why would you not want to take advantage of that?

But I’m not totally against expensive things that make us happy. It’s just if you are going to spend a lot of money, you should get something you can’t get any other way- something that enriches your life… travel, art, education, a library, a nice home to live in… These things are worth spending money on, because they enrich your life. Gucci handbags, super high end stereos and designer clothes seem to be conspicuous consumption without any real life enhancement.
If there's one stupid audio buy I would want to make at one point, it's probably the HE-1. I could spend 6x less on a Stax SR-009 and get just as good audio probably, but the marble and jade is really pretty lol.

Feb 25, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #139 of 221
Used properly and excluding defects in design and manufacture, all amps sound the same. See the link to a study that proves it in my sig file. Stereo Review 1987 Pg 78

Feb 25, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #140 of 221
Used properly and excluding defects in design and manufacture, all amps sound the same.
Yet another desperately wrong statement.

To just present the most obvious example, a tube amp from 1940 sounds very, very different from any solid state amp produced today.

To present an example that's less obvious, but very common in the recording industry and one I deal with probably once a week, a mic pre made with IC op amps sounds very different from a discrete component mic pre, and in particular, one with a transformer.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #141 of 221
A perfect example, in addition to your saying that science not knowing everything is fallacious, of why no one should take you seriously.
A perfect example indeed but of you not understanding English or logic! Don’t you know what the word “all” means? Or maybe you can’t figure out the child level logic that many amps sounding the same fulfils BOTH the statements I made. That is very telling indeed, although it doesn’t explain why someone incapable of a child’s level of logic would come to a science discussion forum and argue BS!

G

Feb 25, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #142 of 221
Haha! Good try. Prove me wrong by going backwards 75 years! There’s really no point engaging with you.

Feb 25, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #144 of 221
I’m sorry. I’ve reached my daily recommended allotment of doofus for today. Try again tomorrow.

Feb 25, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #146 of 221
To just present the most obvious example, a tube amp from 1940 sounds very, very different from any solid state amp produced today.
Really, how is that an obvious example, how many examples are there of people using 1940’s amps currently and how does
it fulfil the stated conditions anyway? As stereo wasn’t released to consumers until 1957, how does a 1940 mono amp not have a design flaw when reproducing modern stereo or multichannel recordings? Duh!
Yet another desperately wrong statement. … When you make statements so wrong even a ten-year-old would know better and instead of manning up to your mistakes …
Ah, correct statements for a change but just as previously demonstrated, you don’t seem to realise you’re describing your own posts/behaviour!!

It really is more than enough “doofus” even for a week, let alone one day. Derailing another thread with “doofus” is getting tiresome.

G

Feb 25, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #147 of 221
https://mega.nz/folder/9oABmIyZ#wkzZve6Edg2Af-nZDEmB2Q

To recreate what I was hearing, I tried generating pink noise in the same conditions I heard the artifacting from EQ and ran a comparative test in Deltawave. From what I saw in the original spectra, there was too much variation to pick out where possible IMD or aliasing(?) might have been happening, so I decided to run a more focused test and played a 16kHz test tone to modify with a high shelf without dropping pre-amp gain. This is directly from my V60 plugged in to my computer's ADC.

From what I'm seeing of the cleaner spectra due to using a single tone, I'm seeing a whole lot of artifacting that also extends in a linear fashion all the way up to the nyquist frequency, with some non-linear distortion being introduced at regular intervals going down the spectrum.
@gregorio
If you have a moment, could you check my work here? I thought the larger spikes at regular intervals was aliasing and the smaller artifacts were IMD, but are they both IMD?

Feb 25, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #148 of 221
I totally agree that we’re living through a golden age of media availability. I remember when I started out in the 1970s. I could only dream of things we take for granted now.
Yep. I didn't start in the 70s, but in the late 80s. CD was already a well-established music format, but otherwise things were not that digital. I recorded music played on FM radio on C-cassettes using a SHARP WQ-T238 boombox. When I bought my first CD player (the cheapest JVC) in 1989, I connected it to the SHARP that had RCA line in connectors. Needless to say, the sound quality wasn't great even when playing CDs not to mention C-cassette recordings of noisy pirate FM stations playing the coolest music (acid house/hip house/hardcore rave etc.) I was a newbie and that was good enough for me. In 1993 I bought my first real hifi speakers, a pair of DIY speakers (Hifi 6/2) designed by legendary Pekka Tuomela. I also bought my first hifi amp for the speakers, NAD 302. It certainly was a different World, but I was much happier back then. I was young enough to be (naively) optimistic about the future (the 21st century has been a shocking disappointment for me). Life had not beaten my spirit down yet. I was a different person, not the depressed cynical mess I am today...

I also agree that turning electronics into a luxury product is silly. Electronics today are cheap and powerful. Why would you not want to take advantage of that?
Rich people may want luxury products, but if you aren't that rich, you should maybe look at things differently.

But I’m not totally against expensive things that make us happy. It’s just if you are going to spend a lot of money, you should get something you can’t get any other way- something that enriches your life… travel, art, education, a library, a nice home to live in… These things are worth spending money on, because they enrich your life. Gucci handbags, super high end stereos and designer clothes seem to be conspicuous consumption without any real life enhancement.
If you buy something expensive it gives you joy for some time, but then you get used to it and the effect dies away. You have to buy something even more expensive next time and so on... That's why filthy rich people keep buying bigger and fancier yachts, because smaller ones don't do it for them. It is unsustainable for most. That's why rich people are not happier than people with median income. If you have enough money for decent life, more money doesn't increase happiness.

It is worse for sensors who need external stimuli in their lives. It is easier for intuitives like me. I live mostly inside my head in my rich inner World.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #149 of 221
If you buy something expensive it gives you joy for some time, but then you get used to it and the effect dies away. You have to buy something even more expensive next time and so on...
That isn’t true of the expensive things I mentioned there. A house is home and becomes more of a home the longer you live there. Travel creates memories that last a lifetime. Art, education and a library are things you can call upon every day for ideas and inspiration. I didn’t mention it before, but musical instruments are expensive things that improve your lifestyle day in day out. Those things are different than expensive sound equipment or status symbols.

The trick to being happy is being satisfied. If you’re satisfied you don’t spend money buying things for the sake of buying things. And you don’t waste precious days of your life fretting over what you don’t have.

Feb 26, 2024 at 2:03 AM Post #150 of 221
If you have a moment, could you check my work here? I thought the larger spikes at regular intervals was aliasing and the smaller artifacts were IMD, but are they both IMD?
I’m not working in my own studio for a few weeks so I can’t analyse your wav files and all I have to go on is your Deltawave results. There seems to be delta content all over the place that shouldn’t be there, so it’s difficult to tell what you’ve done or what’s going on. Have you used a pink noise generator or a pink noise file? Theres a big peak around 4kHz that obviously shouldn’t be there. If that were an alias product it would have been caused by an equivalent peak at around 40kHz, remember that aliases mirror around the Nyquist freq. You could try oversampling, that would eliminate any aliasing but my guess would be that it’s caused by some other type of distortion product.

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back