Aphex Twin
Feb 29, 2008 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

crewchief

100+ Head-Fier
OK guys I need some schooling on getting what I want. I have know about RDJ since back in the 90's and loved him, but always forgot to add him to my collection. I feel like I have probably missed a lot of enjoyment by doing this. Now I know that a lot of people recommend getting Selected Ambient Works, Vol. 2 so I am taking that one as a given. The thing is though that I would also like to have Windowlicker and Come to Daddy without having to buy the individual EP's. Do these two tracks show up anywhere else in his catalog? I also really want this version of Windowlicker. I also don't care to much for the rest of the Grandma's Boy soundtrack so that is not an option.
wink.gif

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 12
As far as I know, the extended (and indispensable) version of Windowlicker is only available in video form. I will say though that the Windowlicker EP is very well worth picking up (and can be found for cheap) if for no other reason than the third track, Nannou. It's fractured music box sounds arranged into a composition, with the winding device acting as percussion and is absolutely beautiful.

Beyond that, I'd actually suggest that you start with the Richard D James album.

Feb 29, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 12
Alright I will try that then. Does Best Buy or anything have some Twin or am I going to have to go the online route?

Feb 29, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I know, the extended (and indispensable) version of Windowlicker is only available in video form. I will say though that the Windowlicker EP is very well worth picking up (and can be found for cheap) if for no other reason than the third track, Nannou. It's fractured music box sounds arranged into a composition, with the winding device acting as percussion and is absolutely beautiful.

Beyond that, I'd actually suggest that you start with the Richard D James album.

Perfect post. The Richard D. James album is probably my favorite Aphex album, And the Windowlicker EP is excellent.

The version of Windowlicker I want, is the one that the gangsta's are playing on their casette deck in the beginning of the video (also cannot be found ANYWHERE).

And yes, Best Buy normally carries some Aphex Twin.

Feb 29, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 12
but i think his remix compilation album 26 Mixes For Cash is a great introduction to the man, with plenty of examples of all the areas of his work (and as an example of the distance you can get between a remix and it's original its wonderful). The Richard D James album is very good, but it's only a snapshot of a small part of his work - if you want broadness go for the above

another recommendation would be Rushup Edge by The Tuss, a record which has been attached to RDJ even though he's never admitted to being the author (i think he's one of the only people to use a certain type of synthesiser which features). If it is by him, then i think it's his most recent release and you can really tell from the sound of it.. some of the synths are mindblowing! Unfortunately, some of his earlier stuff now sounds a little dated from an audiogeek perspective, but this is a brilliant sounding record

Feb 29, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #6 of 12
I'd recommend SAW Vol. 1 over SAW Vol. 2. Volume 1 is arguably THE original ambient techno record, and shows what RDJ was capable of even in the 80s. SAW Vol. 2 always felt like more of a compilation of his early studio noodlings to me, and to my ears is not very cohesive or consistent in quality. You can't go wrong with either, though.

Also check out the 'Analord' series that he recorded as AFX. The Analord records feature downright mental amalgamations of acid techno and frenetic 'intelligent' breakbeats.

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 12
Don't forget to give the Rubber Johnny video a spin when you're bored with everything else.

Mar 1, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #8 of 12
Seen it. I like the Donky video better, reminds me of the cast of jackass in bear suits...lol.

Mar 1, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #9 of 12
WOW-no one has even recommended "I Care Because You Do"?
This is no doubt a brilliant album and the one that got me started on RDJ.
ICBYD has always been my recommended starting point.

Mar 1, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW-no one has even recommended "I Care Because You Do"?
This is no doubt a brilliant album and the one that got me started on RDJ.
ICBYD has always been my recommended starting point.

"Alberto Balsalm" is actually one of my favorite Aphex Twin tracks.

Mar 1, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Alberto Balsalm" is actually one of my favorite Aphex Twin tracks.

oh-easily one of my faves as well.
That and Wet Tip Hen Ax-both beautiful.

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #12 of 12
being an overly obsessed aphex twin fan to say the least, i agree with the suggestions of i care because you do and 26 mixes for cash being a fairly good starting point. if you reallllyyy want to test out your audio gear to some rdj though id probably recommend 26 mixes because the mastering is quite a bit better. He doesnt care what other people think of his music so the fact that remixing of other artists was involved in the record, they put a good bit of extra work to my ears im guessing anyway in the mastering of the album. The tuss album also sounds very pleasing in terms of how its been recorded. I have the windowlicker video credits in flac on audio if you'd like but i believe the intro music to the video is unreleased and not leaked. Check out 'to cure a weakling child' and the remix on high end gear though its quite the eargasm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back