Apex Pinnacle
Jan 25, 2014 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

BEASTly

New Head-Fier
Helo, I'm considering the Apex Pinnacle and I'd like to hear peoples thoughts/impressions and comparisons against other high end amps (i.e. Cavali Lau and/or Studio 6 or anything else for that matter). Also what would be your preferred tube lineup with each?
Thanks in advance!

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 4
Just buy it. I'd never part with mine. Innerspace's write up a while back mirrors what I hear. Basically tube goodness with lots of resolution, lack of fatigue, solid bass.
Note that it has a 23-step DACT attenuator, but maybe contact TTVJ (or Pete maybe) if that concerns you at all.
You'll most probably forget about ever trying another dynamic amp (I have). Also, it runs nice and cool for a tube amp. Mine's been 100% reliable since new a couple years ago.
It's a superb preamp too, as good as a very high end one.
I tried a bunch of tubes and settled on the PSvane 6NS7 version from Grant, and the standard PX4s from Sophia.
It's superb with HD800s, LCD3s, TH900s, Grado GS1000i and RS1s, W3000ANVs, HE500s, T1s, and the Abyss.

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 4
Just buy it. I'd never part with mine. Innerspace's write up a while back mirrors what I hear. Basically tube goodness with lots of resolution, lack of fatigue, solid bass.
Note that it has a 23-step DACT attenuator, but maybe contact TTVJ (or Pete maybe) if that concerns you at all.
You'll most probably forget about ever trying another dynamic amp (I have). Also, it runs nice and cool for a tube amp. Mine's been 100% reliable since new a couple years ago.
It's a superb preamp too, as good as a very high end one.
I tried a bunch of tubes and settled on the PSvane 6NS7 version from Grant, and the standard PX4s from Sophia.
It's superb with HD800s, LCD3s, TH900s, Grado GS1000i and RS1s, W3000ANVs, HE500s, T1s, and the Abyss.

Well stepped is a concern but also looking at it profile u own the b52 how does that compare with the pinnacle on HD800

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 4
The Pinnacle avoids fatigue somehow and is sweeter and has more reach into inner detail. For some reason, the B52 has some particular synergy with the LCD3, with a remarkable bass.
On all the other phones, the Pinnacle is just sort of "not there" except for some touch of tube silkiness and rich texture that is something I crave. The LCD3 is great on the Pinnacle also, 
I just notice this particular fine match on the B52.

The TH900 is a wonder on the Pinnacle, with a very fast bass, very well rounded vocals with a ton of character, nice depth and great image boundaries. 
It really opens up the TH900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back