Apex Aural Exciter...
Jan 9, 2007 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Gradofan2

Headphoneus Supremus
As several others on Headfi, I bought the “Aphex 204 Aural Exciter and Optical Big Bottom” sound processor (a name contrived on The Man Show no doubt) to fine tune the sound of my system to compensate for the inadequacies of any particular component, or of any recording. I got it primarily to brighten the sound of my Senns and to add perceived dynamics, clarity and detail – which it does – making them sound much more like Grados, or ATH’s. But, it also allows me to fine tune each recording to enhance the quality of the sound.

It’s not an EQ, but a unique sound processor, which allows you to dynamically shape the sound to your preferences. You can read more about the Apex 204 here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tom?sku=181820

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/docum...ive&sku=181820

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbas...n/m_181820.pdf

On first impressions, it seems to do the job it claims to do pretty effectively. It permits the user to enhance bass frequencies, adding texture, and impact, and the perception of speed (it tightens the bass); and the high frequencies, adding the perception of extension, clarity, detail and brilliance. It adds vibrancy, and liveliness – making relatively flat, lifeless recordings come to life. It allows the user to add or reduce the balance of bass, mids and highs, and it can add, or reduce, the perception of air in the soundstage.

I presume, it achieves these qualities by adding a degree of distortion, much as tubes, or opamps do – but, it is not objectionable distortion, and the various controls permit the user to dial in the amount of distortion the user prefers. That shouldn’t disturb most persons, since every recording has distortion imparted by the recording engineer via the selection and placement of the recording devices, as well as via the mix that gets finally transferred to the disc, as well as via the various playback components. The Aphex 204 just allows the user to customize the nature and degree of that distortion to their personal preferences. It does seem to transfer the signal as cleanly and clearly as it receives it from the source, with the addition of the sonic enhancements tuned by the user – with no loss, or excessive, distortion of the details. Those that think they’re hearing the pure, transparent sound produced by the original musicians – are fooling themselves. So, they might as well tune the sound to their preferences… so long as no details and clarity are lost in the signal transfer.

Whatever… the Aphex 204 does brighten the Senns to sound much more like the Grados, and ATH’s… while adding a vibrancy and liveliness, which makes the music seem much more life-like. Those that already think the Senns are too bright… may not like what it does… but, those who think the Senns are too dark… will likely be very pleased at the effects it adds.

It may be just the answer for those who are not purists, and who don’t have the patience, to keep trying multiple components in their search for just the right combination of components, which can “synergize” to produce “just the right sound.”

What do the rest of you guys who have been seduced by the “Aural Exciter” think about her???

Jan 9, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 15
I just can't get past the name. It sounds like a product ad on a p**n site.

EDIT: What did the packaging look like? Just curious, thinking from a marketing standpoint.

Sorry, I know this is supposed to be about how it sounds, but gee whiz.

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 15
I seemed to recall this product came out in late 70's or early 80's. It was more of a studio effect as opposed to a consumer device. Not sure what the before or after effects are, but it sounds like fun.

Eric

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What do the rest of you guys who have been seduced by the “Aural Exciter” think about her???

Me like.
biggrin.gif
It seems as if you like it??

The best info IMO is at the Aphex site

If you haven't already, I recommend reading Colin Millers review - link - it gives great info on how this thing works.

IIRC the 204 comes in a plain brown box with lots of foam to protect her. It's a fun toy and only $200.
IMG_0159.jpg

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #7 of 15
Yeah, I use to have one in my little home Midi/Recording studio.
They could be bought for 130.00 back then early 90's i believe.
I played with it a bit then, used it on one song. After that it just sat in the rack unused.

I guess if you like the sound no prob using it. Just as the original post says, "it adds percieved"

If anything to fix or add, I would suggest an EQ
over an exciter.

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #8 of 15
Yes... I do like her.

And... I agree with Colin Miller...

http://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11...om-7-2004.html

... that she really enhances the user's "aural experience" in a highly "titilating" way - the user has the perception that you can actually "see her wet lips, and feel her hot breath" on female vocals... and all sounds just seem to possess a much more real and lively quality... without the sense of excessive distortion / saturation... "a la reverberation" and similar techniques.

And... the user can quite easily adjust the sound to the optimal sound on each recording - which is quite nice - if highs are too bright or strident, you can tone them down, or if bass is too boomy, you can tighten it up... or vice versa... whatever you prefer. It all sounds quite natural.

When you realize that all forms of sound enhancement, whether attained via op amp, or tube rolling, or component swaping - is nothing more than adjusting the amount of distortion to the user's preferences - then, once you're come to that realization - the Aphex 204 makes great sense, and a great improvement.

And... it holds the potential to "end your endless search" for the perfect combination of components - if you can bring yourself to that realization, which I'm sure many can not. You first have to admit to yourself and others... "I'm an audioholic" - that's the first step back from your addiction, or insanity.

But... if you can do that... then "she's a great partner" to help you with your recovery.

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #9 of 15
Its a very popular piece of studio gear from what I understand. Used by MANY engineers do do exactly as you describe.... Liven things up.

They are popular in car audio too.

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #10 of 15
I have a couple I use in my studio. It really helps vocals by adding a little presence. It can also sound great on kick and snare. You want to stay away from using it on sharp high sounds like cymbals because it can add a glassy sheen and even make the highs brittle. It is a great recording tool for average mics.

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2;
As several others on Headfi, I bought the “Aphex 204 Aural Exciter and Optical Big Bottom”...

I did a search for the Aphex and I couldn't find any members that have commented on using it for headphones(besides me, about 10 times
biggrin.gif
)

I did find some positive comments from TravelLite and negative comments from kwkarth.

Despite any negative comments that others might have, I'll continue to enjoy the 204 with my headphones. I've tried using a 31-band EQ and it did have its advantages over the 204 for certain purposes. For my tastes, the 204 adds a certain fun factor to most types of music and does so in a way that an EQ never could.

All of this is not to say that I can't enjoy my headphones without the 204 with my Woo tube amp(still my favorite for the HD 650) or my best SS amp in the Central Station(my favorite for Darth Beyers which I feel don't even need processing or crossfeed). After I do the 5 or 6 quick tweaks on the 204 for a particular CD to get the sound I want, turning the processing off is like sucking the life out. Using the Big Bottom for my DT-880 takes them to a new level.

Enjoy.
eggosmile.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did a search for the Aphex and I couldn't find any members that have commented on using it for headphones(besides me, about 10 times
biggrin.gif
)

I did find some positive comments from TravelLite and negative comments from kwkarth.

Despite any negative comments that others might have, I'll continue to enjoy the 204 with my headphones. I've tried using a 31-band EQ and it did have its advantages over the 204 for certain purposes. For my tastes, the 204 adds a certain fun factor to most types of music and does so in a way that an EQ never could.

All of this is not to say that I can't enjoy my headphones without the 204 with my Woo tube amp(still my favorite for the HD 650) or my best SS amp in the Central Station(my favorite for Darth Beyers which I feel don't even need processing or crossfeed). After I do the 5 or 6 quick tweaks on the 204 for a particular CD to get the sound I want, turning the processing off is like sucking the life out. Using the Big Bottom for my DT-880 takes them to a new level.

Enjoy.
eggosmile.gif

I recall another person... from the Bay area... who, I think was the first person to introduce me to the 204 - don't recall the ID though.

I got it primarily to brighten my HD650's to sound more like my HD600's, RS-1's, or AD2000's - and it seems to do that well. I'm not sure even a much more expensive amp could do as well. And... it makes the HD600's, RS-1's and AD2000's sound even better.

From my research, it didn't sound like an EQ would do that as well as the 204 either.

On the other hand, if I wanted to reduce the bass emphasis of the HD650's, or reduce the highs in the RS-1's, the EQ might do that better than the 204 - but, that wasn't my primary objective.

And... the EQ would never add the brightness, clarity, presence, and liveliness that the 204 does.

And... I'm sure it will go a long way towards making a SS amp sound much more like a tube amp.

Mar 17, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #13 of 15
Hello , I plan on buying the Apex aural 204 exciter,They have for the in and out- XLR type and the 1/4 " plug .Witch is the best /cleanest way to connect to my Little Dot MK iv -se tube amp ? I appreciate the information . Take Care .and THANK YOU.!!

Mar 17, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundCheck88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello , I plan on buying the Apex aural 204 exciter,They have for the in and out- XLR type and the 1/4 " plug .Witch is the best /cleanest way to connect to my Little Dot MK iv -se tube amp ? I appreciate the information . Take Care .and THANK YOU.!!

I use 1/4" TRS cables for a balanced connection to a PreSonus Central Station but for your needs you would use 1/4" TS to RCA cables for output to your tube amp.

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #15 of 15
Here's another person who can't speak highly enough of the Aphex 204. I bought it to enhance my HD650's and it does exactly that. There are two bypass buttons so you can quickly hear the before and after -- what a huge difference! I can't see myself ever giving it up, it makes everything sound so much more realistic and lively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back