APC H10 worth it at $99?
Sep 12, 2009 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

_Spanky_

500+ Head-Fier
Ah yes, the beloved surge protector, filter and conditioner discussion again
smily_headphones1.gif
I found it for $99 (about $121 shipped) and I'm seriously thinking about it since I've seen a lot of other places sell it for $150+. I would use it for my computer (which is my main audio source) so later on when I get something like the Compass, I'll at least have some piece of mind/protection and proper voltage regulation. So, audiophiles, is it worth it, am I better off just buying a regular surge protector for less?

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 5
I use it on my home theater system, and I like it because it has AVR which I see kicking in when my central air drops the voltage about 5-10V sometimes, I don't notice any difference in sound quality though, but I can see the voltage fluctuating on my power grid with the LED on the front panel. When my central air turns on, sometimes I can see a glitch on my old CRT, but when its plugged into the H10, it doesn't do that so it must be filtering out something

For the price, I think it's well worth it. I also like the delay function so I can have my active speakers come on AFTER my amp turns on, and I don't get the pop noise any more

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the reply. I think I'd be mostly getting it for the voltage regulation and surge protection, not so much the filtering but if it does something then that's a free bonus in my book. I don't ever notice "voltage issues" in my computer but I have seen in other parts of the house lights slightly dimming when heavy appliances are turned on, so I'm sure it's there to some extent. I've heard lower/higher voltages will degrade parts faster (obvious truth for higher voltage). Good to know I'm not the only one that thinks it's a good price
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 5
If it was some other company, I'd be more wary.....but APC stuff works as well as they claim (full disclosure in their specs). Just as surge protector and AVR, you are well covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back