Apartment landscapes
Jan 31, 2016 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm always facniated by apartment landscapes in the extra big major cities. Especially if you can see them from a distance maybe from a bridge while riding on a bus, train or car.

Normally, when city landscapes are shown in the media, it's the office buildings but in some ways, I find the apartments more interesting especially since it's such a huge difference from quiet suburb homes or the houses in small towns which can also have a patterened design too in the neighborhood blocks

Jan 31, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #4 of 14
The lives in a metropolis. I like the word metropolis. It has an interesting sound. It evokes the visions of a manufactured landscape that goes on for miles and miles.

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 14
Yeah, it does look like a circuit city.  Even though they can look ugly and depressing I do like looking at these massive concrete jungles and even industrial wastelands usually by the airports. It tends to more impressive if the city population is more than 10 million. There's a certain kind of lonely aspect to it that fascinates me especially by the industrial areas that go on for miles.

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 14
Yeah, it does look like a circuit city.  Even though they can look ugly and depressing I do like looking at these massive concrete jungles and even industrial wastelands usually by the airports. It tends to more impressive if the city population is more than 10 million. There's a certain kind of lonely aspect to it that fascinates me especially by the industrial areas that go on for miles.
[/quoteNice to look at from afar. Personally am freaked out by human civilization that densely packed together. I do get your point though.

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #8 of 14
I agree. It can be frightening with the population density. There are mixed feelings of love and hate for a massive city. The emotion can be a little complex.

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 14
I agree, that's why big massive cities can be scary.

You have massive high rises. You also have underground side walks. This was sort of predicted in the movie Metropolis in the 1920s.

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #11 of 14
I recall a bunch of stories coming out a few years ago, where people realized how a lot of these apartment complexes in China were almost completely empty, adding to the scariness.

I have an aunt who bought one of these completely-empty developments a while back (it was on the edge of the city rather than in the "ghost towns"), and I remember a bunch of us went with her to check it out. These things are very high up, and they didn't have windows installed at the time, so I recall being absolutely terrified of being knocked over by the wind. I really question the design choice behind stairs like that.

A side-story: It took her a couple of years to actually move in; I forget why, but she had just finished up last year. By that time a couple of others had started moving in. We were video-chatting with her while she was walking around and showing us the place, when she came across a hornet's nest lodged near the air conditioner exhaust between her balcony and the neighbours. It was interesting to see her knock it down with a broom, all in real time!

Feb 4, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #12 of 14
I never realized there were empty buildings in China but I agree empty buildings can be scary since I have been inside an empty old hospital in America and it frightened me.

The big Asian cities facniate me much more than the American cities in general. They can be massive concrete patterns for miles evolving with the old and new.

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #13 of 14
In a sense it would be interesting to live in a city where there are only 3-4 people to one of these massive apartments. I imagine a lot of squatters in China are doing so as we speak.

We used to live in places like these:

But now:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back