AP Tests
May 25, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #16 of 24
How about that disclaimer we had to hear this year for the multiple-choice? "You can not discuss the multiple-choice section at anytime, with anyone, for any reason, or face criminal charges..." or something like that. Guess the ol' Collegeboard is getting tough on crime.

What did you guys think of the English Lit., and Psych tests this year (if you took them obviously). I thought they went really well, but I guess I won't know till July.

AP kicks so much butt, I am entering CU with 42 hours of college complete, which is like a year and a half.

May 25, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by veritas
i took ap bio, ap us history and ap calc BC this year... took ap phys and ap calc last year. gonna take ap english, ap gov, ap econ, ap chem and maybe another ap next year. hahaha i'm so glad they're over

do you happen to go to lowell high school in san francisco or are you in the east bay or something?

May 25, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #18 of 24
Heh, well it was a long time ago, but I'll talk about it anyways. I took the AP Biology, AP English Language, and AP English Literature tests. Got a 5 on all of them. It was time/money well-spent, since it got me credit for all mandatory freshman English and Biology classes, which from what I heard were terribly boring and not helpful. I also got credit for Calc I and II, though not because of any AP test. Was really nice getting Calc III out of the way first semester.

May 26, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #19 of 24
I took the AP World History class this year, and it was so much work. I can't complain, I got straight A's in the class
smily_headphones1.gif

Next year I'm taking AP chem, AP US history, and AP BC calc.

AP test grades will be available by phone in a little over two weeks....the suspense builds

May 26, 2004 at 3:24 AM Post #20 of 24
wow, some of you have taken a lot. consider yourself fortunate, i know of schools that doesn't even offer that many ap classes.

when i was in highschool, i only took bio, psych, and calc. and glad i did. wish i had taken english and history though.

advice to highschoolers who plan on going to college: take as many ap tests as you can and try to get a 4 or 5.

it can save you a lot of money, and more importantly time. i have two upper level friends who will be graduating in three years because they transfered a year's worth of ap credit to college.

i dont think the more prestigious schools will accept every score though.

May 26, 2004 at 4:31 AM Post #21 of 24
When I was in high school (which is a while back), I took Calc BC, US History, and Bio. IIRC, I did well on the tests, too. I received college credits for them, but at the time, my school wouldn't let me use any of them toward requirements for my majors, or general graduation requirements, for that matter. So in essence, I had bunch of credits that didn't go toward anything.

May 26, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #22 of 24
yeah, depending on the schools, it can be pretty taught getting the credits to fulfill your major requirements. for university of washington sl, for example, even with a 5 on the ap bio test you still need to take the second intro biology course. but that's b/c they have one of the best premed/med program in the nation. where as univ of md will let you go with a 5, but require you to take one of the two intro bio courses if you get a 4.

i think it's best to take the courses for your major in college. mainly because i, and most people, dont really 'learn' or study in highschool. people (unfortunately not all) will begin to really study in college when they are actually paying for education and mature a little. i am surprised i did as well as i did for the amount of time spent on the subjects. the ap tests are good tests, but they are particularly easy because they test a years (or semester) worth of stuff in a short amount of time. and you can pretty much bs on the essay part.

if you plan on being an engineering major because you like math and science. my advice is to take ap courses you think you would hate to take in college. because most colleges have core programs that require you to take subjects outside of your field. this may include english, social sciences, social history, language, etc...

i recommend this because if you're not interested in these classes, you're probably just wasting time and money when you take them in college.

it might prove beneficial if you are trying to explore your interests though.

another advice: save econ and psychology for college = easy A with minimal work
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2004 at 6:35 AM Post #23 of 24
I took a total of 7 APs (can't remember which ones exactly), and several of them counted towards my education at UC Berkeley. However, I did retake intro bio because I thought it would be important for my major. That was a mistake. With the two semesters I wasted, I could have taken classes that I would have found much more rewarding and interesting. Prerequisites, especially at Cal, were often times a waste of my time and energy. And they also often tended to be weeder classes, where you are thrown into a lecture of 500 and expected to do battle with oneanother for grades, often with little assistance or care from lecturers (with 500 students, who can blame them?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back