Anyway to make Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3 sounds better with Cowon S9
Apr 23, 2009 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

seanzh12

New Head-Fier
Hi all, after trying every preset eq in the S9 and adjusting eq on my own, I just couldn't really make my Ultimate Ears Super Fi.3 sounds right (using to listen to pop, jazz and classic). I know it's not the best earphones out there, but I think it can sounds better a lot better than with the preset eq.

So can anyone out there offer some suggestion on tweaking the eq, jeteffect or bbe to make it sounds better..much appreciate it.
beerchug.gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a better set of earphones.

That's a brilliant reply to his question... >.<

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanzh12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So can anyone out there offer some suggestion on tweaking the eq, jeteffect or bbe to make it sounds better..much appreciate it.
beerchug.gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yours is just as brilliant also offering no help....lol...
tongue.gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 14
You just may need to get a different set of IEMs that better match your needs. What exactly about the super.fi 3 do you not like?

Apr 23, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a better set of earphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You just may need to get a different set of IEMs that better match your needs. What exactly about the super.fi 3 do you not like?

For the reason that Mule specified, Voltage's answer is the best available option right now.

Apr 23, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Got a point though. If his DAP powers the UE alright and fiddled with EQ and still can't get it right perhaps look at upper end UE if he likes the UE house sound, or another make.

Apr 24, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #11 of 14
If you think the SF3 is all bass and not enough highs, try a cheap impedance adapter. It will bring much more detail out of them. Sounds crazy but it works. I made a special cable to a/b test with my altec lansing UHP 336 which is a rebranded sf3.

About 50 ohms will be enough. An added bonus, there will be no hiss out of your players.

An etymotic 75 ohm p/s adapter will work great as well.

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #12 of 14
Thanks everyone for your opinions. I've tried using UE SF3 with the attenuator (came with the UE) but it doesn't do anything expect make the sound volume lower without no sq improvement. As far as the exact problem about the SF3 is I think it's under-preforming, because after tweaking the the eq and jeteffect on my Cowon S9 for my Audio-Technica Ath-ES9 it made it sounded like a whole new headphone, sounded better of course. But for SF3, I just can't seem to find the proper eq and jetefftect to bring out the best of it, in an another word, I'm looking for a set up to brighter mids and highs without making the music sounds "fake".

Apr 24, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #13 of 14
hey seanzh12, i just got an s9 also and tweeked it perfectly and it sounds great. I dont know if you know that i know something you dont know. No,but seriously, i dont know if you know but if you go to settings -> JetEffect-> and then click on the gear looking bolt thing on the right side, you can further tweek the eq as well as BBE+ (which includes Marchbass, 3d suround, and MP enhance; and toggle stereo enhance on or off. I found machbass to be really good for the lows and mids and the 3d surround is very sensitive when adjusting for highs. Let me know if this helps.

Apr 25, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycrob515 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey seanzh12, i just got an s9 also and tweeked it perfectly and it sounds great. I dont know if you know that i know something you dont know. No,but seriously, i dont know if you know but if you go to settings -> JetEffect-> and then click on the gear looking bolt thing on the right side, you can further tweek the eq as well as BBE+ (which includes Marchbass, 3d suround, and MP enhance; and toggle stereo enhance on or off. I found machbass to be really good for the lows and mids and the 3d surround is very sensitive when adjusting for highs. Let me know if this helps.

After tweaking the SF3 for a few hours I couldn't get it to sound any better than the preset "Classical", however, for rock and pop I did mange to make it sound better. But now I'm considering getting a headphone amp then upgrading to a UE SF 10 or SennheiserIE8...any suggestions on these 2 IEMs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back