Anythings sounds better than a dead ZVM
Jun 26, 2009 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

andyalfa

100+ Head-Fier
So here’s my spec so far.

Priority number 1 is sound quality, so to my view, that means Rockboxable, FLAC compatible and line-out equipped to connect to an amp. Not interested in video or games or such, just pure, unadulterated music.

As I’ve written off two players already through dropping them (my drink problem is under control, honest), flash memory would appear to be the way to go, though a hard drive would be acceptable as a last resort.

Capacity needs to be as big as possible, so even if the standard memory is relatively modest, the ability to bang in a large size MicroSD or SDHC card is very important.

Oh yeah, one last thing. It has to be cheap, but certainly doesn’t have to be new. It can be aesthetically challenged and scratched to hell as far as I’m concerned, so long as it sounds good. The budget is up to what I can get for the unlocked second-hand Palm Treo 680 phone I’m selling to fund it plus a little bit extra that my missus doesn’t have to find out about. I reckon we’re looking at up to £120 ($200)

If there is a player out there which comes close to fulfilling all of the above, I’d dearly like to know about it. By the way, I’d prefer it not to be an iPod, but if that’s the best option, then I’ll give it a go.

Jun 28, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #2 of 2
would suggest you look at the iriver h1xx series. They come up in the fs forum or eBay every now and then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back