Anything similar to AKG k701??
Jun 10, 2008 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

flame

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently looking for a headphone that has similar characteristics of the k701. I had them for a month, but it wasn't too comfortable for me, usually after 2 to 3 hrs of usage, my jaws started to hurt, which is why i gave them up. Mainly looking for the similar soundstage and detail. Thanks in advance!

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by flame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am currently looking for a headphone that has similar characteristics of the k701. I had them for a month, but it wasn't too comfortable for me, usually after 2 to 3 hrs of usage, my jaws started to hurt, which is why i gave them up.

You are supposed to fit them in such a way that the headband rests on your head and the earcups cover ears. The cups can be adjusted so that they cover your ears properly, instead of letting them press against your jaws.
Try a set or earbuds instead. The K701 is one of the most comfortable to wear headphones out there, so changing headphones won't solve the problem with your jaws hurting.

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are supposed to fit them in such a way that the headband rests on your head and the earcups cover ears. The cups can be adjusted so that they cover your ears properly, instead of letting them press against your jaws.
Try a set or earbuds instead. The K701 is one of the most comfortable to wear headphones out there, so changing headphones won't solve the problem with your jaws hurting.

I have done that, yet my back jaws are still tired after few hrs. I also understand it is one of the most comfortable headphones out there, but really it isn't the case for me, which is why i am searching for similar headphones with perhaps a better fitment on me. And i really enjoy my Denon D2000 right now, it is also very comfortable and i am able to wear them longer than AKG. However; it gets hot and sweaty later on, which is why i am hoping someone can provide me with other suggestions.

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #4 of 10
Aha, I get it now. It is the oversized cups that are causing the problem. You need an open back headphone with smaller cups. Grado does a few of those.

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #5 of 10
That is a tough one. I find the K701 very uncomfortable also and the d2000/5000 comfortable but sweat inducing.

I enjoy the fit of the HD650 more than both, but it clamps a little too hard. From what I hear, the HD600 has less clamp and a bass response and high end more like the K701. I chose the 650 over the 701 for both overall sound and comfort enjoyment. I do miss the large open sound, but that is about it.

Ultrasone fit kinda like the K701, but a little softer and smaller. They still wear at the back of the cheek that causes that jaw pain, but nowhere near as bad.

Do you happen to have a small head? That was my main problem with the K701 comfort I think. They pads were huge and pretty stiff.

Jun 10, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #6 of 10
I think the GS1000 is an improvement over the K701 and it offers a bigger soundstage and VERY deep bass. I find them somewhat more comfortable than K701's too. Very light and the band is adjustable too.

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 10
@Herandu - ya i think is the oversize earpad that is causing the problem

@M3ntal - I do have a smaller head
tongue.gif
And thanks for your suggestion, i have tried the HD600 and HD650 before, but i am still missing the soundstage on k701.
frown.gif

@Gu Sensei - GS1000 um...interesting i haven't had a chance to listen to it, i should definitely go around and find a pair to try it on. Thanks for the heads up.

Also wondering is Stax any good on the fitment? How's the Stax SRS3020 compares to the K701. Much appreciate if anyone can share his/her experience.

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually, I would say the K701 is one the most UNcomfortable phones out there. The pads that lie along the bottom of the headband feel like miniature head noogies. The elastic side bands push the headband further into your cranium.

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 10
HD600 or 650 should clamp the same. By bending the metal, the clamp is easy to get the clamp anyway you like. These are the most comfortable cans i have tried so far by a good margin. I know you have already tried these (single ended i assume), but a balanced 650 has a bigger "soundstage" than a balanced 701.

Ultrasones have the tightest clamp i have tried to date. Also very bass heavy in my experience, which is the polar opposite signature of the 701.

I've seen 701 straight out not fit on people with big heads. I don't think they clamp hard, but i know that pain youre talking about behind the ear. When i had mine, i removed the ear pads and flattened them under my mattress for a week.

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jh4db536 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD600 or 650 should clamp the same. By bending the metal, the clamp is easy to get the clamp anyway you like. These are the most comfortable cans i have tried so far by a good margin. I know you have already tried these (single ended i assume), but a balanced 650 has a bigger "soundstage" than a balanced 701.

Ultrasones have the tightest clamp i have tried to date. Also very bass heavy in my experience, which is the polar opposite signature of the 701.

I've seen 701 straight out not fit on people with big heads. I don't think they clamp hard, but i know that pain youre talking about behind the ear. When i had mine, i removed the ear pads and flattened them under my mattress for a week.

Balanced 650? man....i wish i can find this pair somewhere to try it, i have only listened to the stock 650. I also read a lot of review about the Ultrasone have a tight clamp, which i am still hesitate to buy one.
But i would really love to know if your flatten method helps? Also do you know how to remove the pads? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back