anything i should know before starting a CTH rev A build?
Aug 14, 2011 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kchapdaily

100+ Head-Fier
hey guys

so i was going to build a soha II, but ive decided to go with a CTH rev A instead ( i have to buy books for classes
frown.gif
).

im under the impression that there are no more pcb's available, so im thinking im going to just use a radioshack style protoboard like i did with my starving student. is this going to present any problems with the CTH? the starving student was much simpler, but i shouldnt have a problem figuring out a working layout.

does anyone have any advice before i order parts for the build?

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 7
>  does anyone have any advice before i order parts for the build?

Yes, not to do it:)   I'd not envy someone protoboarding an amp w/150+ parts (over 400 holes in the PCB IIRC).  But I'm sure there are examples of such determination & skill:)
I guess if you've really studied all the schematics, the PCB image:
http://www.cavalliaudio.com/diy/cth/main.php?page=boards
etc & still want to go for it, have fun & good luck. 
BTW its possible if there was enough call for it runeight may consider another GB for CTH boards in the coming months.  If it was me & I could not source a CTH PCB I'd look at other projects, but maybe I'm just a wuss from having had trouble protoboarding things with a dozen or two parts:)

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #3 of 7
yeah i was kind of hesitant about it at first, but i figured i might as well go for it. plus i think working out my own layout is more fun than using a pre made pcb. much more difficult in this situation though.

although if anyone has an extra board laying around id be happy to take it off your hands 
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #4 of 7
>  i figured i might as well go for it. plus i think working out my own layout is more fun than using a pre made pcb.

Actually there were some that asked for a larger PCB version CTH to make stuffing/soldering easier, at least you'd not have that problem.

Suggest reading the CTH PCB Group Buy & CTH Rev A threads for parts info, think all the later/last changes made it to the BoM (e.g. R1H/R2H swap correction, A/C adapt jack/plug matchup & stereo pot correction for small builds (RK097122...)).  The tricky parts are the CRDs, LM2595, chokes/coils & possibly the relay IIRC, and think no one vendor has it all so probably need 2 parts orders.

Edit:  Of course I'd use good quality protoboard w/plated-through holes, and build it in modules w/screw terminals.  This let's you build & test in stages and, as you'd not have the benefit of a ground plane, get the input stage farther away from the PS.  I did this for the orig proto you can see by clicking the thumbnail in my post below:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/398839/a-very-compact-hybrid-amp
Note: that proto had the original SOHA frontend e.g. pots, not the more advanced CTH frontend.  Not that big a compromise if you want a bit easier build IMO, e.g. less impact than compromising rail-splitter or output buffer.

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #5 of 7
thanks for the advice! im actually having a hard time finding the 1N5305, 1N5315, and this seems to be out of stock at digikey and mouser. are there any suitable replacements for these parts or should i order from somewhere else?

also i just have a few questions about the schematic.

on the input stage, where does B+ go? is it to the e12?

also im a bit confused on the power supply. it appears to have 2 different output sections. im assuming these are V+, but their output voltages should be different. which ones should be connected where?

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 7
Think this is looking problematic & you should consider a different project...  E.g. B+ is the tube's HV, about 80V+ in the CTH (plate -> 0.22 blocking cap -> output buffer -> e12 relay), and the CTH e12 runs off the LV 24V + virtual ground & we've posted CRD/1N5* subs in the threads I referenced.  These are things you should be familiar with prior to attempting this. 

BTW the SOHA II has Cavalli's imprint on it, is in the same league sound- & cost-wise and I think Jeff @ glassjaraudio.com may have boards and/or kits (can try contacting him).  I've used/built several GJA kits & have been pleased all-around with them & Jeff's service.

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Think this is looking problematic & you should consider a different project...  E.g. B+ is the tube's HV, about 80V+ in the CTH (plate -> 0.22 blocking cap -> output buffer -> e12 relay), and the CTH e12 runs off the LV 24V + virtual ground & we've posted CRD/1N5* subs in the threads I referenced.  These are things you should be familiar with prior to attempting this. 

BTW the SOHA II has Cavalli's imprint on it, is in the same league sound- & cost-wise and I think Jeff @ glassjaraudio.com may have boards and/or kits (can try contacting him).  I've used/built several GJA kits & have been pleased all-around with them & Jeff's service.

probably a good idea. i was considering the soha II also. 

the schematics are a bit confusing, im still learning most of this stuff. maybe ill come back to this after i get some more experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back