Anything have that Seattle "grunge" sound?
Apr 9, 2006 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

lewtz

100+ Head-Fier
I admit I'm a child of the 90's. I'm noticing after talking to other people, it seems some of the music that sticks with you the most is the stuff from your teens.

My teens was the explosion of grunge. Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Bush, Alice in Chains, etc. I also notice most current stuff on the radion doesn't do it for me.

Sooo.. I'm calling on anyone with some underground experiance, to maybe recommend something that might be similar but is not well known. Anything out there? Or is the day of this style gone?

Apr 9, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 22
I hope the folks who like grunge know the Pixies! They actually influenced Kurt Cobain a ton, and The Smashing Pumpkins - that whole "start quiet then get LOUD" thing was all Pixies.

Anyhow, I can't think of any modern bands that sound like Grunge anymore. We'll have to wait until it becomes retro - it shouldn't be too long now, since the retro bands are around the mid 80's now - the early 90's should be just around the corner!

Apr 9, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I hope the folks who like grunge know the Pixies!

...and Green River, considering they pretty much invented grunge.

The Melvins, too.

Apr 9, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewtz
I admit I'm a child of the 90's. I'm noticing after talking to other people, it seems some of the music that sticks with you the most is the stuff from your teens.

My teens was the explosion of grunge. Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Bush, Alice in Chains, etc. I also notice most current stuff on the radion doesn't do it for me.

Sooo.. I'm calling on anyone with some underground experiance, to maybe recommend something that might be similar but is not well known. Anything out there? Or is the day of this style gone?

so what defines "grunge" for you? What aspects of the music?

Apr 9, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 22
yeh Pixies, Green River, Mudhoney, etc. All the well known grunge. I was hoping to find something outside the norm and maybe current.

Apr 9, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #9 of 22
We've talked some about The Living Things around here. There debut was produced by Steve Albini and does have some of that Nirvana punk and hard rock sound. Obviously not the most original sound around, but still fun
wink.gif

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=147819

And what about Mark Lanegan of the Screaming Trees fame? That band was also at the heart of the grunge scene, and Mark has done some excellent work on his own. I love both of his last two albums, but his last album Bubblegum may be his best work yet. We talked quite a bit about it here ...

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=93275

And I'll toss out Black Mountain too. More stoner rock than grunge, but they are very much related I think. More Led Zep in their sound than most of the grungier ones you mention, bet the Sabbath connection is there mixed with some Stones too. Even got top 5 in the Uncut list last year...

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114635

Apr 10, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #10 of 22
most likely you know him/them, but as davey already brought up the mighty screaming trees (of course you know them, don't you?), i'll put up TAD. grunge never got heavier, har har... they had butch vig and steve albini as producers, and i saw them on a double with nirvana just before the latter became big.

no matter how you like your grunge, TAD has to be on that list, in big fat letters.

Apr 10, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #11 of 22
I've always thought there was a lot of crossover appeal between the better grunge bands and the stoner/desert rock bands.

Check out:

Clutch (self-titled album is my fave)
Monster Magenet (go with DOPES TO INFINITY)
Kyuss (SKY VALLEY or BLUES FOR THE RED SUN)
Queens of the Stone Age (my fave is the debut, but they're all pretty rockin')
Nebula (LET IT BURN or CHARGED)
Fu Manchu (..IN SEARCH OF is a classic)
Down (NOLA)
Masters of Reality (debut album is classic)

-jar

Apr 10, 2006 at 12:51 PM Post #12 of 22
For the grunge sound today I'd look into Queens of the Stoneage, especially if you're not familiar with any of their music because you can also get the Desert Sessions stuff. Check out Kyuss too, they're not around anymore, but it was members of Queens and has that grunge/stoner rock vibe too.

Apr 10, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #13 of 22
other things you might want to check out:

Dinosaur Jr. (try WHERE YOU BEEN.. probably their most accessable later period album)

Urge Overkill (SATURATION came out around the same time as NEVERMIND and was also produced by Butch Vig. One of those great summer cruising albums, a lot brighter and sunnier than most grunge albums, but they do have the big riffs and grungy sound.. the song "Sister Havana" was a pretty big radio hit)

Interesting personal note about "grunge" - there was a brief period from 1989 to 1991 that saw a lot of classic heavy underground music.. from Helmet to the Jesus Lizard to the Melvins, to all those AmRep bands like the Cows, Hammerhead, Tar, Janitor Joe and others like Steelpole Bathtub, Alice Donut, Ed Hall, Pain Teens, Cop Shoot Cop, Bitch Magnet.. we didn't know what to call that stuff so we took to calling it "Grunge Rock" - that was, until the name was stolen, yes STOLEN from us and used for the Seattle scene specifically. So we had to come up for another name.. "Post-Hardcore" was the best we could come up with.. though we were really just more concerned about drinking beer and rocking out.
evil_smiley.gif

-jar

Apr 10, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #14 of 22
Try scoring the Vaselines' cd if you can find it, a lot of the songs Kurt used to sing and was influenced by was the style of this band.
Nirvana's music was very much motivated from bands that feat girl/guy combo for that uncanny balanced sound. The Pixies SurferRosa was absolutely killed by the band whilest on the road playing their own Bleach tour, and if you ever have the chance to hear or see any docs of the band members when starting out, they speak to this information exclusively.
Frank B and the Kim rock out, and proper.
Disclive live Brixton Acadamy if you can find that set, rare 1/1000..
it is awesome..

other great ones for you would be NineBlackAlps (the US release of this DISGUSTING CD, was finally a few weeks ago I believe) funny, Have totally killed the crap out of the disc and brought back like 4 times already, bc it came out last Sept in Europe, pick it up period. If you can't dig the sound on that disc, I will be surprised. See my review on amazon, rock album of the year..musiclover.

also check out supergrass, older sonic youth, and black rider motorcycle club, maybe silverchair..

Apr 10, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #15 of 22
Thanks guys, good info, I'll pickup a couple things in the list I havent heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back