Anything Else I should know?
Jan 9, 2010 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

iamthecheese

100+ Head-Fier
I'm new to headphone DIY, but not electronics DIY.
I'm fairly competent with soldering, mainly from repairing broken power plugs on laptops, car audio, and general electronics repair.
I've replace the inverter for the backlight on my LCD tv, replaced blown caps in a couple car amps, and done a voltmod on my graphics cards for higher overclocks. Multimeters are nothing new to me also.

I just don't have a huge knowledge of picking out parts for headphone DIY I was gunna pick up this kit: Beezar.com

I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should know before starting a millet minimax?

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 8
The key to building projects is to take your time. Check and re-check you are putting the right component in the correct place. Then check again and solder. Remember polarities. There is not much that can go wrong when using that kit. Have fun!
icon10.gif

EDIT: These videos helped me get more comfortable with soldering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthecheese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm new to headphone DIY, but not electronics DIY.
I'm fairly competent with soldering, mainly from repairing broken power plugs on laptops, car audio, and general electronics repair.
I've replace the inverter for the backlight on my LCD tv, replaced blown caps in a couple car amps, and done a voltmod on my graphics cards for higher overclocks. Multimeters are nothing new to me also.

I just don't have a huge knowledge of picking out parts for headphone DIY I was gunna pick up this kit: Beezar.com

I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should know before starting a millet minimax?

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 8
I'm in the process of building this 1st class kit (should be finished by tomorrow). One thing I recommend is a good quality magifying (sp?) glass. Many small parts with equally smaller letters & numbers that you will have to read.

Jan 10, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 8
Jan 10, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthecheese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I was thinking about soldering, I was wondering if my iron is suitable:
Weller 100/140 Watt Universal Electric Soldering Gun Kit - 8200PKS at The Home Depot
Its a gun style that does 140 or 100w and heats up really fast...but is there such a thing of too hot?

A soldering gun is highly NOT recommended. It does not have regulated temperatures, often TOO hot, difficult to use, and impossible to control especially if your soldering delicate circuit boards. At a bare minimum you should have a soldering iron with adjustable temperature (used for different solder melting points) and interchangeable tips. I am not sure of your budget but take a look at this thread to get more information.

Tangent has several very helpful links:
Tangent Tutorials
Getting Started in Audio DIY

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #6 of 8
icon10.gif

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 8
I've built a couple minimaxes. Great project for your first semi-major build. The prefab enclosure is a great time saver and the website and Tomb himeself are great resources. Plus, it sounds great! My only specific counsel would be to be wary of all the components with polarity and if you get confused by the transistor locations, make sure you ask and get it right before you do anything permanent.

BTW, looks like the have a kit available now! Even better!

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 8
Ok, is there soldering Iron worth getting around 30 bucks?
and...
What about helping hands(the stand with the alligator clips) for the Minimax or is the circuitboard too big for that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back