Anything better than Ultrasone Proline 750?
May 7, 2008 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

grndslm

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about getting a pair of cans, a refurbished "older" Proline series, and am trying to figure out if there's any real difference between it and the "newer" Pro series??

Also, has anyone bought a refurbished one and had problems? $225 seems like a good deal to me.

I'm guessing there aren't too many people who prefer the Denon D2000 unless the bass from the Ultrasone has too much kick for them, eh??

May 7, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 21
what kind of sound are you looking for? what do you listen to? is isolation a factor?

May 7, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking about getting a pair of cans, a refurbished "older" Proline series, and am trying to figure out if there's any real difference between it and the "newer" Pro series??

It's merely a cosmetic upgrade. No change in sound. If I''m not mistaken on the first Proline 750's they used a headband which cracks more easily. The newer versions including the newest 750 have a new sort of headband which is more sturdy and less likely to break.
I have heard the 2500 in the past but it's too long ago now to fully remember. What did struck me at that time and I do remember somewhat was that I liked its bass a tad more because it reached further but take that comment with a full cup of salt
tongue.gif

The rest of the hps I have not heard, except for the DT880 but that's also a long time ago and I believe I found it too warm for my taste, but again, take this comment with a grain of salt.

May 7, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 21
As I posted on the other thread, I've got the refurbed one and it looks great and sound great. $225 is indeed a great deal. That's why I bought it and I don't regret a bit.

May 7, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 21
For 225 and the sound you get in headphones it is a steal.

May 7, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what kind of sound are you looking for? what do you listen to? is isolation a factor?

Isolation is not a factor.

I have no amp, and I listen to just about every genre -- rock, rap, blues, jazz, raggae, bluegrass, indie, electronica... just about everything but country. I like "fun" music and that seems to be the Ultrasone 750 or 2500... Grado & Beyer mixed into one. That's exactly what I've wanted. Currently my top dollar can is the AD700, and that's got the mids & soundstage covered... so I'm trying to focus on the highs & lows at a minimum.

Do the D2000 or DT880/990 sound like they would meet my needs versus an Ultrasone 750 or 2500??

Thanks in advance!

May 7, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For 225 and the sound you get in headphones it is a steal.

+1 I picked up a pair couple months ago, and I'm very happy with them. When I need to have a pair of closed cans, I dont hesitate to grab the 750's

May 7, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #9 of 21
for $225 or even more, they are well worth it.

May 8, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #11 of 21
Does this deal happen yearly or is it a limited time only thing? I'm guessing they're gonna stop selling the PROline for cheap once they're all sold out?

As long as these headphones are taken care of, will they still "crack" to the point where I won't be able to use them someday... or should they still be pretty durable ten years down the road??

And do you prefer 750 or 2500... what are the differences??

May 8, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 21
The 2500 will give you a more airy soundstage, and the 780 a more laid back sound, a little different but very enjoyable, appart from that, the Edition 9 is tne next step, IMO the Denon, is not an upgrade from the Prolines...
The DT880 is a different presentation, a lot leaner in bass, very detailed though, and need more power to shine...

May 8, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #13 of 21
Is the sound remarkably different besides the airy soundstage? ... less bass, for example??

How do the Audio Technica AD900 and Ultrasone 2500 compare?? I might have to sell my AD700 and get both 750 & 2500!!

Also... quality issues with older PROline headband?? Will these $225 cans snap in three or four years?

May 8, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the sound remarkably different besides the airy soundstage? ... less bass, for example??

How do the Audio Technica AD900 and Ultrasone 2500 compare?? I might have to sell my AD700 and get both 750 & 2500!!

Also... quality issues with older PROline headband?? Will these $225 cans snap in three or four years?

They are exactly the same headphone, one closed, and the other open, not 100% sure but IMO they are about hte same the main difference is in the soundstage IIRC...

May 8, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #15 of 21
From what I've read, soundstage is supposed to be wider on 2500 whereas it's more deeper on PL750.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back