Anything better than Sony MDR-XB500?
Jul 14, 2009 at 11:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

oxi

New Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a new set of cans and I've recently tried on the XB500s at the store. They were amazingly comfortable to wear and sounded pretty good. Where I live they can be bought for about $70US. Is there anything better at that price range? Thanks.

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 9
I dont know how much more the XB700s go for in your part of the world, but they are reported to be a significant improvement over the 500s. My Audio-Technica A500s are another closed pair of cans with good bass impact, but I think you are better off telling the board what kind of music you like to listen to and taking it from there - if you liked the sound of the XB500s, I'm assuming you like bass hence my suggestion re the A500s, but I think you will find that open cans give you more bang for your buck - I just have no idea what open cans you can get for that kind of money. We seem to pay about double the US asking price for most cans in 'pacific pesos' here in Oz, but even at $140 locally I'd be looking at IEMs or stretching a little further for MS-1s or perhaps a cheaper pair of AKGs.

estreeter

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the quick reply. I listen to mostly hip-hop and rock and yes I do like bass heavy. I will mainly be using these for long travels such as on the plane or train, so comfort and isolation is important. I've seen the 700s but they were a bit out of my price range, but if they improvement is that much better I might think about them.

As for the A500s, how long have you had them for and how do you find the build quality? Cuz my friend and I both got a pair of SJ5s a while back and both broke pretty quickly.

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #6 of 9
oxi, I havent had the A500s for very long, but I'd have to say that they seem sturdier than any of my other cans, with the exception of the K601s. They now have a much stronger cord than cans like the ATH-ES7, but I'm sure the plastic headband could be damaged if I wasnt careful - so far so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back