Anything better than chord mojo for desktop ~500?
Jun 1, 2017 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

azynneo

1000+ Head-Fier
As title states. I'm looking to off my mojo for a dedicated dac/preamp for my desktop. No real reason of getting rid of the mojo, just really wanted to see if I could improve with something more dedicated to a non-portable setup.

Jun 1, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #2 of 12
TT oops was that 500$?

Jun 1, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #3 of 12
Yeah.. I'm quite sure paying big bucks like that for a dac will obviously be better than a portable 500$ one. However, I'm not really in the game anymore to pay and spend for minuscule differences(they're big differences and I can tell). With that said, I did put a price point in my title in which I probably should've made it a little more clear with bold lettering or mentioned it in my opening post. Long story short, I want something that'll satisfy me as a dedicated preamp+dac in the 500$ zone that can best the Mojo.

Jun 1, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 12
If I could "poison" you. If you enjoy the Mojo sound signature, save up more than $500 and get the Chord 2Qute

It's like Mojo on steroids

Jun 1, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 12
Yeah.. I'm quite sure paying big bucks like that for a dac will obviously be better than a portable 500$ one. However, I'm not really in the game anymore to pay and spend for minuscule differences(they're big differences and I can tell). With that said, I did put a price point in my title in which I probably should've made it a little more clear with bold lettering or mentioned it in my opening post. Long story short, I want something that'll satisfy me as a dedicated preamp+dac in the 500$ zone that can best the Mojo.

I am not sure if idsd black label can be called a desktop amp. But, it could be a step up.

Jun 2, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #9 of 12
I've owned both the Mojo and the iDSD black label. I wouldn't say the iDSD is a step up from the mojo in SQ

It's a matter of preference if you compare these 2. I would say Mojo sounds more musical as compared to the iDSD

Your best bet at this price range would be the Schitt products

Jun 2, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #10 of 12
I was in the same boat as the op and I was considering the Denafrips Ares. I believe it is $600USD, there is a thread here on head-fi and I believe there is a couple of comparisons to the Mojo IIRC. to be honest though, I'm still not convinced it can best the Mojo and I still need a DAC that can do both home and portable so I'm keeping the Mojo for now...

Give the thread a read, the Ares looks promising

Jun 4, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #12 of 12
have you compared one to a mojo?

thanks for the other replies however I'm quite keen on having a low budget.

I don't have the modi multibit, but the Bifrost Multibit. I also currently own the Mojo as well. To me Bifrost Multibit edges out the Mojo ONLY if you are using the COAX input. I'm pretty sure Modi should be able to equal Mojo if fed with COAX. Schiit's USB module IMO makes the sound a bit hard and less detail and depth compared to COAX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back