Anything beat mSeed Spirit ~150
Jun 24, 2007 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

bebanovich

100+ Head-Fier
I've heard great things about this amp and good things about the Faith before it. Can anything top it at this price. And when I say this price I don't mean $200 - teacher's budget here.
wink.gif

My main phones are Grado SR-80 and RP-21, although the 80 may turn into a 225 before too long.

My guess is that a used MisterX XP would be on the list. Anything else?

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #2 of 16
another vote for XP..i used them with my 225 and they're great..havent heard the mseed though

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 16
Seems kind of fruitless to review the XP now that MisterX is not making it anymore.
frown.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 10:47 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rxc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Xin Supermicro IV goes for 180 bucks.

I should have noted in the original post . . . I don't have the patience for a Xin. I don't know how you people manage the wait but it won't be happening for me.

I mean, seriously, there are mammals with shorter gestational periods then that. Dr. Xin could be giving birth to calves or whelps or something in the amount of time it takes him to give birth to an amp.
icon10.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 12:40 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bebanovich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should have noted in the original post . . . I don't have the patience for a Xin. I don't know how you people manage the wait but it won't be happening for me.

I mean, seriously, there are mammals with shorter gestational periods then that. Dr. Xin could be giving birth to calves or whelps or something in the amount of time it takes him to give birth to an amp.
icon10.gif

But the Supermicro IV has the right sound!!!
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #8 of 16
The new iBasso T2 does a fine job at a price under your budget. Check around to see what others have been saying about this one.

Jun 24, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #9 of 16
I have not heard the Mseed, but the Porta Corda MkIII makes my RP-21s sound incredible.

Jun 24, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #10 of 16
I have been listening to several portable amps over the last few days and when I do quick comparison I can tell the differences. When I set back and give them extended listening period my ears get used to them and each has produced music that is very listenable. Those have been the T1 (less so), T2, Go-Vibe V6, Xenos 1HX-ECP, my AE-1 and the AE-2. For those that match your budget the T2 and the Go-Vibe V6 either would provide enjoyment but the T2 it better than the Go-Vibe V6 among those amps. Now the Go-Vibe V6 has one feature that will allow it to extend beyond what I am hearing and that is that you can put a higher voltage supply on it than the internal battery. I understand that this pushes the V6 into a higher range than what I am hearing. I am not able to quantified this difference since I don't have the higher voltage supply.

I am looking forward to Skylab's review of the T2 when he gets his.

Jun 24, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #11 of 16
I just got my T2 yesterday, and am breaking it in. Thoughts soon.

But for $150, the mSeed Spirit is VERY hard to beat. I preferred it to the XP, which is largely irrelevant since you can't get an XP anymore. But I thought the Spirit was better anyway.

Jun 24, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #12 of 16
The only way to know whether the mSeed is for you is to try it and mSeed makes this very easy with their 14 day return policy. The sonic differences between portable amps in your price range are subtle at best and I think you'd be happy with either Gary's classic PA2V2 @ $60 (which is known for its synergy with Grados) or Norm's Go-Vibe5 @ $53. I own and like both (but prefer the PA2V2 because its smaller as in portable) and use them with my Grado SR60s. The most important quality in a portable amp is does it have enough power to drive your phones without noticable distortion and Grados are very easy to drive. When I had Grado 325is I'd have friends listen and then show them the 325is were powered by the Shuffle G2. This was a mind blowing experience to have these big, imposing phones loudly and cleaningly driven by my postage stamp size Shuffle ($49 refurb @ the Apple online store). So don't worry about buying the very best cheap portable amp because this is very much like fretting over which is the very best tooth brush to buy.

Jun 25, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #14 of 16
JUST GET IT
biggrin.gif
. I feel like I should have gotten the mSeed Spirit instead of the SuperMicro IV, but I haven't heard the SuperMicro IV yet so I can't be saying anything
tongue.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #15 of 16
The iBasso T2 is very good. The Xin Micro is top notch but I understand about your aberration to waiting (only an aberration when compared to what many will do as even the A2 took some time to be birthed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back