Anything as good/better than Porta Pros for the price?
Mar 11, 2010 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ymer

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

In the market for a pair of portable headphones/iems for all around use, running, etc. Anything as good sounding for the price? Any closed options?

Thanks!

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 7
Sennheiser PX100, while very different, has similar quality (build and sound). Not closed, but doesn't leak much.

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #3 of 7
I've got the Portapros and KSC75's. My Portapros are stock, but I've done a few mods to my KSC75's (Kramer mod, attempt at the quarter mod, and I sprayed them with black primer). After those mods, I think I like the KSC75's a tiny bit better over the Portapros, but I haven't listened to them long enough since modding to say for sure. They're not way better, but slightly more refined with a little bit less bass. For both stock, I like the Portapro a bit better. You could just get two pairs of KSC75's. Mod one, and leave the other stock.

Sorry, but those are the only two clip ons/portables I've heard. I've got the JVC HA-RX700's, but they're not very portable and wouldn't be good for running.

For those who care, spray painting the KSC75's didn't mess with the sound at all as far as I could tell.

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 7
I listened to a friends PortaPros, and although the SQ was great for the price, the housing resonated with the bass (dealbreaker IMO).
Any alternatives not suffering from the same problem?

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 7
Senn PX-100 does not suffer from that - at least not at the volumes I listen to.

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by P4Z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PX200-II is the closed version right? Does that vibrate with bass?

No. The bass on the PX200-II is very controlled, probably the tightest I have heard <$100. I would also look at the JVC HA-M750 and Denon AH-P372 in the sub-$50 range. Both are closed and sound better than PortaPros imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back