Anyone's ADDIEMs crap out on them yet?
Apr 3, 2010 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kloan

1000+ Head-Fier
Mine have.... volume up/down doesn't work anymore. I haven't even used them in months, they've just been sitting in my night stand drawer...
frown.gif

I'm gonna put my theory to the test and take them into the Apple store to see if I can get a replacement set.

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #2 of 11
Tried to get a replacement set when I went into the Apple store a couple weeks ago, however I was using the serial number from my mom's iPhone (they need a serial to enter into the system if you don't have a receipt)... turns out her warranty was expired (person that sold her the phone lied to her).

I was going to head back there with a still warrantied iPod Touch, however I just read on iLounge that Apple just announced an extended replacement program for the new style earphones sold with the latest gen Shuffle, as well as the current in-ear headphones as well.

So I filled out a request using the iPod Touch serial number and I have a new pair being sent to me.

Hurray!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 11
Cable on mine went a few months ago so I got them recabled with a silver Meelec cord. Except for the fact that I didn't have any white heatshrink it turned out better than expected.

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 11
Hmm, but now you don't have the remote?

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 11
True, though it would certainly have been possible to sacrifice an earphone with a remote (maybe a Meelec M2P or some random cheap headset). I don't need a mic/remote personally as my phone lacks a 3.5mm jack. Pic of the post-op ADDIEMs:

addiemrecabled.jpg

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #6 of 11
I like the remote for the volume controls, skip tracks, pause as well since I can use it with my MBP, iPad and eventually a Nano (when I get one).

That's a nice looking cable though. How do you find the sound of the earphones now? My experience with silver cabling so far hasn't been very positive.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 11
Sorry, can't tell you how the cables sound since I also used the opportunity to go ahead and perform a second mod, per advice of goodvibes - plugging up the vent in the rear with clear nail polish and then using a needle to punch a smaller hole in it. Took me a few tries to get a positive result but it loosened up some of the sub-bass, which was rather shy before.

So two variables, no idea if the cables alone did anything to the sound but the overall result is positive.

Apr 22, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #9 of 11
Got my replacements this morning. 1 day shipping holy cow!!

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #11 of 11
Yep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back