Anyone would recommend Meze 109 Pro based on my current setup?
Jan 29, 2023 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

akilani818

New Head-Fier
Hey Everyone! this is my first post, I just joined the forum and feel excited to be part of it all!

I'll try to make this post a bit short, first by mentioning the gear I have and tried before:
I listen casually to music, many different genres (including movies/games OST) but rarely listen to classical or rock/metal.
I use headphones mainly for movies, story driven games, and internet browsing/casual music listening.

Currently own:
- Sennheiser HD8XX (all tapes removed, was an interesting project!): I enjoy it a lot, just feel the soundstage is a bit too much for my preference, and wish if lower frequencies where more prominent
- Sennheiser HD700: exclusively for gaming, amazing balance in every way, just need to reduce the SFX bar in games to dodge its piercing spears (got a bit of sensitivity to brighter cans). Pads fabric got torn and re-glued on the sides thousand times :sweat_smile:
- Philips SPH9500: I use it for quick easy to drive needs, but sound feels a bit too close to my ears
- Sony MDR7506: main purpose for isolation from hearing my surroundings at home, and its neutrality is very nice

Previously owned, not anymore:
- HD6XX: Enjoyed their intimate sound, but the soundstage felt very small
- Philips Fidelio X2: Did not like at all their unnatural V-shaped presentation, made me hesitant to try anything V-shaped
- HD598: was my first hifi cans, loved it until I upgraded

I didn't invest much in amps, what I use is JDS Labs DAC/AMP.

What I'm currently looking for is a can easy to drive, enjoyable for all genres, warmish, good soundstage and separation, not too bright on the upper side. Budget less than 1000$.

After reading many reviews and based on what I currently own, Meze 109 pro seems to fit the bill? I am also planning to get ZMF Aeolus.

Appreciate your feedback on this please:slight_smile:

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 9
Welcome! I think the 109 fits what you're looking for, but the owners in the impressions thread would be a good place to check if demoing is not a possibility.

Also, I'd recommend buying it used in case you don't love it. Otherwise, you'll take a $300 hit on the price.

Jan 29, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #3 of 9
Welcome! I think the 109 fits what you're looking for, but the owners in the impressions thread would be a good place to check if demoing is not a possibility.

Also, I'd recommend buying it used in case you don't love it. Otherwise, you'll take a $300 hit on the price.
Thank you very much I appreciate your feedback! I might get it from Meze direct since I read that they have 30days return policy incase one doesn't like their products, that is if I understood their terms correctly.

Also I saw you own a Denon D9200, I was thinking to get one however from what I read they tend to be neutral to brightish and may become fatiguing after a long listening session? please correct me if I am wrong. Also I am not sure if it would be a good complement to my current collection.

Jan 29, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #4 of 9
On my setup, the D9200 is warm and full sounding, engaging but never fatiguing. I think on other setups, you're probably right. Running off my DAP, they are a little peaky.

Jan 29, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #5 of 9
Thank you very much I appreciate your feedback! I might get it from Meze direct since I read that they have 30days return policy incase one doesn't like their products, that is if I understood their terms correctly.

Also I saw you own a Denon D9200, I was thinking to get one however from what I read they tend to be neutral to brightish and may become fatiguing after a long listening session? please correct me if I am wrong. Also I am not sure if it would be a good complement to my current collection.
Can confirm D9200 to be bright sometimes, as mentioned it certainly depends on the setup .. for more treble-sensitive listeners it does benefit from a warmer source (I prefer it with iFi micro signature and WM1Z). It also doesn't have a very wide stage, compared to your Sennheiser cans it is certainly on the intimate side -- but separation is excellent. For a closed back they are a safe bet, although they are quite a bit more expensive than 109; a used pair barely fits in your budget.

Jan 29, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 9
Can confirm D9200 to be bright sometimes, as mentioned it certainly depends on the setup .. for more treble-sensitive listeners it does benefit from a warmer source (I prefer it with iFi micro signature and WM1Z). It also doesn't have a very wide stage, compared to your Sennheiser cans it is certainly on the intimate side -- but separation is excellent. For a closed back they are a safe bet, although they are quite a bit more expensive than 109; a used pair barely fits in your budget.
Thank you very much for the feedback! I really appreciate this being a mew member here!

Actually i did find used D9200 before for around 1000usd, but since my dac/amp setup is from jds (which is known to be very neutral) i figured it would be a bit bright for me. Maybe will get a chance to try them in the future.

Jan 29, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 9
If you end up with a D9200, it's an endgame level headphone. At least the same way an HD800S is an endgame. I have more expensive headphones I sometimes debate selling, but never the D9200. I like it so much, I found extra OEM pads in case they ever stop making them.

Jan 29, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 9
If you end up with a D9200, it's an endgame level headphone. At least the same way an HD800S is an endgame. I have more expensive headphones I sometimes debate selling, but never the D9200. I like it so much, I found extra OEM pads in case they ever stop making them.
Yeah i did feel that from what i read about them, people do praise them in ways i did not hear before.

Do you feel they reveal impurities in lower quality songs or recordings? I mean normal 320kb(or less) files or spotify streaming? Because my collection is not high end or loseless.

Jan 29, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 9
Yeah i did feel that from what i read about them, people do praise them in ways i did not hear before.

Do you feel they reveal impurities in lower quality songs or recordings? I mean normal 320kb(or less) files or spotify streaming? Because my collection is not high end or loseless.
Not at all, they're very forgiving because they're not the most detailed headphones. I know that sounds like a knock, but it's something you appreciate once you hear them.

But don't let me dissuade you from the 109PRO. Meze is an outstanding company with great headphones and support, as is ZMF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back