Anyone work at Best Buy (Magnolia section) or been to this area lately and listened to the cans?
Jun 27, 2012 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AaronAnderson

New Head-Fier
I went in to check out some AKG550's and Sennheiser HD598's - Both of which they have attached to this wall mount listening station with 6 or 8 total headphones. You can plug in your own audio source, so I brought my iPhone and FIIO E7 along for the ride. 

Everything sounded incredibly.... shrill? high mids, or highs were almost... no, were painful to listen to. I don't know what any of the headphones up there are supposed to sound like but I hope it's not this. I'm looking at headphones in the 250-300 dollar range and was totally let down tonight.

So, anyone work there and know what kind of amp they're using to run these? or if anyone has been in, had the same experience but knows what some of the phones are supposed to sound like? 

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 10
The 598s are usually talked about as being fairly balanced; I haven't tried them, but the 595s (which I have tried) were NOT what I would call shrill or painful. They were boringly balanced - I assume the 598 is at least somewhat similar (they *look* similar), which is partly why I've avoided them. :xf_eek:

No idea about the AKGs.

Regarding the experience overall - did you ask any of the staff about the problem at the time?

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 10
I was there close to closing time and couldn't find anyone to help me. I think I'll go back tomorrow during the day and ask if they'll remove the headphones from the demo unit thing. 

I'm guess that they have things cranked up to sound impressive to people who are mostly ignorant about hifi. 

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 10
I was there close to closing time and couldn't find anyone to help me. I think I'll go back tomorrow during the day and ask if they'll remove the headphones from the demo unit thing. 

Probably the best bet - but as always, they can't help you, if you don't ask/inform them about the problem.

I'm guess that they have things cranked up to sound impressive to people who are mostly ignorant about hifi. 

My guess is that it's just something wrong with the display. :xf_eek:

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 10
I listened to a few cans a couple weeks ago and they seemed to sound as they should. I'm guessing there's something wrong with the display. It's definitely worth having them openit up and let you try the cans directly on your player.

Jun 28, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #6 of 10
I listened to several phones at a Magnolia hp display last week.  While most hp's sounded as I would expect, the K550's did sound way too bright or shrill.  This could have been the fit/seal I had or just the hp itself as many have commented that they sound bright.

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 10
Here in Kalamazoo, MI we dont have a Magnolia section yet, but in the pro audio section they have about a dozen or more headphones for demo.
I was surprised how bad some of the $200+ headphones were. Here's a few comments I posted in another thread. Don't hate me if you love the headphones I hated!

Pioneer HDJ-2000

This sounded OK, but seemed to lack low bass. Pretty clear sounding, but seemed a bit congested. Not much of a soundstage. Mids seemed quite good and a bit forward. Kind of failed to impress me in any way. For $349 you think it would have been a bit better. Nice build quality. Male vocals seemed especially good on these. Not sure why.

Pioneer HDJ-1500

Very tinny sounding without much bass. I was kind of shocked! Didn't listen to this more than twice.

AIAIAI TMA-1

Awful! Sounded like listening to music while drowning in a pool of snot. Maybe my ears don't play well with the design. Sound clarity to me was like a 5/10. The Sennheiser HD-203 sounded clearer..what the heck. $200 for this?! Sorry if you like this and I won't judge it more until I could hear it in my house.

Sennheiser HD-203

Seemed OK for $40 (on sale)

Koss Pro3AA

Didn't listen to it much, seems to have a lot of bass and larger soundstage than stock DJ100 perhaps. Probably due to the larger pads. Overpriced at Best Buy. Treble seemed quite good.

HD-280

Out of all the headphones I liked this one the 2nd most. The annoying harsh Katy Perry song I heard on the DJ200/100 was there on the HD-280. Seems this might have better instrument separation without amping/dac than the DJ100 at the demo. I wanted to buy a pair but not at $99.

HD-380

Angled drivers and seemed slightly clearer than the 280, but could be due to having what seemed like less bass. The mids seemed less forward and felt as if there was a little more treble. I actually felt the HD-280 was fuller sounding and had better mids. Maybe not.

BTW that harsh Katy Perry song that gave my ears a fit was the worst on the HDJ-2000.

Nice that the DJ200 held up so well. Looks like I may need to give the HD-280 a try and compare it to  my KRKs and DJ100.

Since i'm bored, here's how i'd rank them in preference:

DJ200
HD-280
HD-380
HDJ-2000
Pro3AA
HDJ-1500 (the bass was the killer for me..weird)
HD-203
TMA-1

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks to everyone who's commented! @tdockweiler - I've got a pair of the HD280 Pro's. I've had them for....12 or 14 years maybe? I recently did the sticky tack mod. They're pretty nice cans for the price. I think you can find them for 79 bucks on newegg. My only gripe about them is that they are kind of uncomfortable and since they have so many moving parts they tend to 'creak' a little bit. perhaps some dry lube would help that. Oh and the coiled cable sucks. 

Sadly, it looks like best buy has stopped carrying the HD598 in the past few days! Figures. I might pick up a pair of the AKG 550's and take give them a beating over the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back