Anyone with law school experience?
Jan 2, 2009 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rockin_amigo14

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm currently an undergraduate and considering going to law school after graduation.

I was wondering is there any real major a person should have if they are interested in law school? Right now I'm a double major in mass communications (focus in marketing) and acting, but I feel like those might be a bit irrelevant. What majors did you guys have?

Also, is following the Pre-law advising system that most schools seem to have useful? Or is it just a waste of time?

Any help or insight, even if not answering these questions, would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 3, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 8
In my experience, nothing in undergrad prepares you for law school. Other post-grad studies are different, in the sense that many undergrad courses can help you get ready for med school, B school, or Masters work. Put another way, a lot of graduate work is a natural extension of undergrad work; not so law school. I had majors in history and polisci, minors in econ and foreign languages. In one sense, they all helped, but none of it got me ready for law school. The whole point of a good law school is to teach you how to think in a new and different way [leaving aside whether or not this is a god thing]. The best thing you can do I think is get a good liberal arts education. That depth will help you. I went to law school at the University of Chicago, and some of my most capable classmates were English and philosophy majors.

Good luck!

Jan 3, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 8
Agree with Vcoheda. Then work like hell first semester. Grades are everything first year.

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 8
I'm just graduating College this year, on the way to Law School next year. Currently an English major with a Poli-Sci minor. I've been told by my pre-law adviser that English is a useful major because of the sheer amount of writing and reading one has to do in the field of law. Fingers crossed that it helps in the long run.

Good luck!

Jan 3, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 8
I agree with the advice given by the various posters. Best bet is take classes that will emphasize skills you will need in law school, principally reading and writing (particularly, seek out courses that employ essay exams).

While you didn't ask, I might also encourage you to examine, carefully, the decision to become a lawyer. When I was 22 and ready to head off to law school, I was focused on whether I would enjoy and be successful at law school (yes to both, as it turned out). Having said that, I spent little if any time scrutinizing what it is actually like being a lawyer (other than to contemplate the high salaries).

And I really disliked my life as a lawyer.

Now don't get me wrong, I feel that the education I received at law school was brilliant, and the impact it had on my analytical skills was nothing short of amazing. And my legal education served me well (I now teach law).

Even so, what is the extent you have researched whether you might be well-suited to the career?

Jan 4, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #7 of 8
it's not so much me personally, but everyone i've met says it would be a good career for me, including lawyers. i personally have no desire to be anything except a mooch, but we all know my brother would kick me out eventually
wink.gif

anyway, i'm not sure what kind of a lawyer i'd want to be buy it sounds like something i could live with and not hate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back