Anyone with Experience with Sony PCM D1 or D50
Jan 4, 2009 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BigEat

500+ Head-Fier
How are these as players? The optical out flexibility is enticing. Looks like they limited to WAV files. Lots of flexibility there and if 24/96 is available, really a high quality option. No?

Thanks all.

Jan 4, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 11
tons of reviews from chinese forum said PCM-D50 has amazing sound quality.

Jan 13, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #3 of 11
I have both. I would rule out the PCM-D1 immediately. It is too large, too expensive and wasn't made to import audio files. It cost more than three times more than the D50.

The PCM-D50 had more functionality than the D1 and can import and playback MP3 files, up to 320 kbps VBR. I have listened to music on it and the sound quality is good, but except for experimentation, I have not felt compelled to use it as a DAP. The only benefit these units have is the ability to hook into an SACD player, etc. and record higher sample and bit rate files.

The problem is the size, user interface and logistics of getting music on the things. These are recording devices, not playback devices. They are big and heavy and the battery life is not so great. It takes multiple levels of clicking to get to the audio files and they playback only in the order they appear in the folder structure. The buttons are on the face of the unit and are easy to accidently push, they have hold buttons, but using this while mobile would be cumbersome. The only way to get music on the D1 is to hook it up to an external source and record onto the unit. The D50 can additionally import audio files, but other DAP can import files greater than 320 kbps VBR.

A high quality option, maybe, but not a very good one.

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mogata /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only way to get music on the D1 is to hook it up to an external source and record onto the unit.

I can import WAV files to my D1 just fine by copying them over USB into one of the numbered folders. They are played in alphanumeric order, so if the files are named '01 <title>.wav', '02 <title>.wav' etc. and you use one folder for one album, then it works ok, and the titles are shown on the display. Still cumbersome as an audio player for all the other reasons you stated, though, in particular when compared to modern DAPs.

Jan 24, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 11
How do the D1 and D50 compare as recorders for field use?

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 11
How do the D1 and D50 compare as recorders for field use?

I have owned both - currently still own the PCM-D50. I had the D1 for a brief time but couldn't justify the nearly $2k it was for infrequent recording - it's not my day job. The PCM-D50 is pretty darn close. The major difference IMO was the mic situation. The D50 is built like a tank and records really well. It will long outlive me I'm sure - it's that solid. Before the D50, I briefly had the Edirol R-09 (meh) and used DAT for the better part of 10 - 15 years. Sony's recorders sound great, are intuitive to use, and just work. I usually use my external Audio Technica AT825 mic with the D50. I'll sometimes use the built-ins, but rarely.

I'm looking forward to the PCM-D100 which supports DSD (thread here already) http://www.head-fi.org/t/679589/leak-sonys-new-portable-linear-pcm-recorder-pcm-d100-upgrade-of-the-famous-d50s.

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #11 of 11

I know this post is old, but I am selling a PCM-D1 if you're interested. http://www.head-fi.org/t/777593/sony-pcm-d1-professional-portable-24-bit-linear-audio-recorder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back