Anyone with a Voyager AND the SOLO?
Mar 20, 2008 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

thathertz

100+ Head-Fier
After recently purchasing a Voyager from Graham Slee Projects I couldn't be happier with the performance of this amp which is a huge difference over my previous portable (Headsix - though I must add that the Headsix is a fantastic amp for the money).

I'd like to keep the Voyager for a while yet but I'm thinking of going for the SOLO (minus PSU) for my next upgrade since I'm mainly using the Voyager at home.

So I'm hoping those of you out there that own both (or at least own ONE and have a good acquaintance with the OTHER) could offer your impressions on how great the difference is between these amps.

I know the SOLO is the better AMP across the board (apart from portability and price) but what are the characteristics that set it apart from the Voyager and are they great enough to warrant the upgrade?

I love the Voyager sound stage and the warmth of the amp. The bass is also incredible from this small amp although the contour switch is a little brutal.

Comments very much appreciated.

Cheers
Mike

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 14
I currently have a couple of voyagers and I owned a Green Solo for a few months. The Solo is a very nice unit and it has great synergy with the AKG K501. When I bought mine Graham Slee was running an special on the pre-2008 units at 245 BP plus S&H.

I felt the Solo had much more detail, clarity, and punch than the Voyager. Of course one is a portable versus a home amp. I should mention that some users experienced issues of hum/noise w/ the small switching psu. I had no such problem. If you do a search I believe you will find additional information.

Mar 21, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 14
Many thanks for taking the time MrArroyo. I've learned alot from your posts both here and other boards.

I'm currently getting alot of pleasure from my Ultrasone proline 750's which sound amazing with the Voyager. The promise of a larger soundstage and greater punch just reinforces the likelihood that I'll go for the SOLO.

I've put about 120 hours on the Voyager and maybe 250 on the prolines and it really does get better each day so I'm determined to stay with this setup while it evolves, but I have the SOLO in the TODO list.
smily_headphones1.gif

The thing is: will my wife really believe the SOLO is just a volume control for my phones?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!

Mar 21, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by thathertz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many thanks for taking the time MrArroyo. I've learned alot from your posts both here and other boards.

I'm currently getting alot of pleasure from my Ultrasone proline 750's which sound amazing with the Voyager. The promise of a larger soundstage and greater punch just reinforces the likelihood that I'll go for the SOLO.

I've put about 120 hours on the Voyager and maybe 250 on the prolines and it really does get better each day so I'm determined to stay with this setup while it evolves, but I have the SOLO in the TODO list.
smily_headphones1.gif

The thing is: will my wife really believe the SOLO is just a volume control for my phones?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!

Good luck, by the way I believe both amps benfit from massive amounts of burn in. Give it at least 300 w/ 500 to 800 being better.
wink.gif
Thanks.

Mar 22, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Cheers!

Many of us on Head-Fi benefit from Miguel's generosity in sharing his knowledge and experience with us (he even sometimes loans his equipment to fellow Head-Fiers). I'm glad that you've come to appreciate his contributions as well. It may be of interest that mrarroyo is shorthand for M. R. Arroyo (Miguel Ramon Arroyo). Did I get right what the "R" stands for, Miguel? Or should I say Mr. Arroyo?
wink.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many of us on Head-Fi benefit from Miguel's generosity in sharing his knowledge and experience with us (he even sometimes loans his equipment to fellow Head-Fiers). I'm glad that you've come to appreciate his contributions as well. It may be of interest that mrarroyo is shorthand for M. R. Arroyo (Miguel Ramon Arroyo). Did I get right what the "R" stands for, Miguel? Or should I say Mr. Arroyo?
wink.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

You got it right! Miguel is what I go by, and thanks for the kind words although many here loan gear. For example at this moment I have Skylab's 2Move, and vorlon1's Beyer DT880 and a few tubes for a Singlepower. It is a good group of people that we have here.

Mar 23, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I felt the Solo had much more detail, clarity, and punch than the Voyager. Of course one is a portable versus a home amp. I should mention that some users experienced issues of hum/noise w/ the small switching psu. I had no such problem. If you do a search I believe you will find additional information.

i have the solo. and mrarroyo's description about it is very accurate per my ears. i can also attest to the burn-in, not only when brand-new, but also when not used for quite some time. as for the hum/noise issue, i do not hear any. i believe they have good synergy with hd650 and the d5000, as i'm satisfied with both. although the solo is now relegated to my bedside rig, it doesn't reflect on the solo's capability.

and yes, miguel is a great guy!
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #9 of 14
Solo 2004 + PSU1 + HD-650 + ALO 18G Cryo = A nice, glossy, balanced sound, with punch too.

Mar 24, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good luck, by the way I believe both amps benfit from massive amounts of burn in. Give it at least 300 w/ 500 to 800 being better.
wink.gif
Thanks.

Cheers again Miguel
wink.gif
I'm using the Voyager during the day when I can
listen and it's working through the night when I can't. My kids think it's
all very strange that my DAP is playing all the time when I'm not
listening....they also think that some of the music 'Is not music' (Tangerine Dream).
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Thanks for the heads up..
smily_headphones1.gif
And apologies to Miguel
redface.gif
LOL
wink.gif

I've absololutely appreciated his contributions and those of many, many
others here. It has become compulsive reading accompanied by a cup of
tea or red wine dependant on the day
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundfreq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have the solo. and mrarroyo's description about it is very accurate per my ears. i can also attest to the burn-in, not only when brand-new, but also when not used for quite some time. as for the hum/noise issue, i do not hear any. i believe they have good synergy with hd650 and the d5000, as i'm satisfied with both. although the solo is now relegated to my bedside rig, it doesn't reflect on the solo's capability.
and yes, miguel is a great guy!
wink.gif

I'm sold on the SOLO now. I've been watching resale values on Ebay and
they're not much cheaper than a new unit so I'd rather buy new and enjoy the burn-in phase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Solo 2004 + PSU1 + HD-650 + ALO 18G Cryo = A nice, glossy, balanced sound, with punch too.

Good to hear it!

My first steps with the SOLO (when I finally get it) will have to be:

SOLO + stock PSU + Proline 750 + a cheaper cable than the ALO CRYO
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks again for all the responses guys!

Mar 25, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

I'd like to keep the Voyager for a while yet but I'm thinking of going for the SOLO (minus PSU) for my next upgrade since I'm mainly using the Voyager at home.

So I'm hoping those of you out there that own both (or at least own ONE and have a good acquaintance with the OTHER) could offer your impressions on how great the difference is between these amps.

I know the SOLO is the better AMP across the board (apart from portability and price) but what are the characteristics that set it apart from the Voyager and are they great enough to warrant the upgrade?

I do own the Solo Green (pre-2008). I love it. Funny thing is that I keep trying to replace it with no luck. I am moving overseas soon and I am trying to reduce the amount of 'stuff' that is going with me. So I purchased an RSA Predator recently, and I have a Pico on order (it was originally a GS-1 before I made my plans). Anyway, I was hoping that a smaller amp, matched up with my DAC could make the Solo dispensable, but that has not been the case. In fact, the more I try to replace it, the better it sounds! Seriously.

Now obviously, any portable amp is going to struggle to compete with a desktop amp in the same relative price range. And the Predator does a really good job. If I did not have the Solo to start with, I would not miss it one bit. But the Solo is such a joy to listen with. I think some of that has to do with the synergy between it and the HD650s. I've tried Beyers and AKGs and Grados, but none sounded quite as good to me (with this specific amp).

Unfortunately, I have not had the chance to try the Voyager. I talked to Graham Slee and told him that if it had a USB DAC, I'd buy it blind. Even still, based on the results I've had with the Solo, the Voyager might be a luxury purchase, just to use with the iPod. Who knows.

So, even though I cannot vouch for the Voyager, I strongly (I wish there were something bolder than bold) recommend the Solo. Best of luck with your decision.

Updated: found this commentary from another thread

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by illkemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do own the Solo Green (pre-2008). I love it. Funny thing is that I keep trying to replace it with no luck. I am moving overseas soon and I am trying to reduce the amount of 'stuff' that is going with me. So I purchased an RSA Predator recently, and I have a Pico on order (it was originally a GS-1 before I made my plans). Anyway, I was hoping that a smaller amp, matched up with my DAC could make the Solo dispensable, but that has not been the case. In fact, the more I try to replace it, the better it sounds! Seriously.

Now obviously, any portable amp is going to struggle to compete with a desktop amp in the same relative price range. And the Predator does a really good job. If I did not have the Solo to start with, I would not miss it one bit. But the Solo is such a joy to listen with. I think some of that has to do with the synergy between it and the HD650s. I've tried Beyers and AKGs and Grados, but none sounded quite as good to me (with this specific amp).

Unfortunately, I have not had the chance to try the Voyager. I talked to Graham Slee and told him that if it had a USB DAC, I'd buy it blind. Even still, based on the results I've had with the Solo, the Voyager might be a luxury purchase, just to use with the iPod. Who knows.

So, even though I cannot vouch for the Voyager, I strongly (I wish there were something bolder than bold) recommend the Solo. Best of luck with your decision.

Updated: found this commentary from another thread

Hi Fred
smily_headphones1.gif

Many thanks for taking the time. I can certainly recommend the Voyager as
a portable. I find myself looking forward to grabbing just a few minutes with it each evening (if I'm too busy for a long listening session) just to refresh my memory as to how good it sounds. I've yet to hear of any significant shortcomings with the Solo and it's great to hear you've become so attached to it that you can't bear to let it go
smily_headphones1.gif

I think rather than lose my Voyager for the Solo it's best to wait until I can afford to buy the Solo outright and get the best of both worlds. I just need to chill, enjoy my Voyager and resist the upgrade fever that's setting in!

There is another amp that's been beckoning also
wink.gif
I'm trying to resist the siren's call of the Meier Opera...

Now there's something to ponder .... Opera VS Solo
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks again Fred!
Mike

PS. Is there a way of searching the forum with a little more control over
the results? I always search post titles which narrows down the results but it would be nice to be able to search on "Opera +Solo" to bring back posts with both those keywords in the title....Just a thought...

Mar 26, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

I think rather than lose my Voyager for the Solo it's best to wait until I can afford to buy the Solo outright and get the best of both worlds. I just need to chill, enjoy my Voyager and resist the upgrade fever that's setting in!

PS. Is there a way of searching the forum with a little more control over
the results? I always search post titles which narrows down the results but it would be nice to be able to search on "Opera +Solo" to bring back posts with both those keywords in the title....Just a thought...

I actually ordered a Voyager yesterday. The temptation was too great. I think I wouldn't have bothered if I didn't like the Solo so much. So I can give you some idea about how they compare when I receive it (in about 3-4 weeks).

Did you try an advanced search? Click the picture for the actual results.

Honestly, it might be hard to find a lot of direct comparisons between the two since the Solo lacks a DAC. People tend to shy away from comparing apples to oranges in the forums. But I'm sure enough people have asked the question.

Mar 26, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

I actually ordered a Voyager yesterday. The temptation was too great. I think I wouldn't have bothered if I didn't like the Solo so much. So I can give you some idea about how they compare when I receive it (in about 3-4 weeks). .

Ah great. I know you'll enjoy it. I've move the unit away from my desk so it's less of a temptation during the day.

Quote:

Did you try an advanced search? Click the picture for the actual results.

Nicely illustrated. Yep, tried that. Vbulletin is supposed to give the option
of making keywords mandatory in results. So '+opera +solo' should just bring back matches with BOTH words however it doesn't appear to work here. The option may have been disabled I guess.

Quote:

Honestly, it might be hard to find a lot of direct comparisons between the two since the Solo lacks a DAC. People tend to shy away from comparing apples to oranges in the forums. But I'm sure enough people have asked the question.

Good point. I should have clarified that I'm interested in the Analog version of the Opera right now. I'll probably get a standalone DAC somewhere along the line once the guilt subsides from my next purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks again!
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back