Anyone who's connected a DAC to their PC, please help exlpain something for me :)
May 24, 2007 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

elbrickodaviso

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry for making so many friggen topics here that are similar in nature, but I think this is the last one for a good while and then I can actually 'contribute' to other topics
tongue.gif

I want my main source to be the PC. I have K701s and an RSA Hornet M (possibly a different amp but that's for the most part irrelevant). I know I need a sound card with an optical/whatever input and a DAC. Will the sound card's optical affect the sound of my rig? I ask because I'd like to have a nice DAC, amp and phones, and run them to the AV-710's optical...but if that will somehow bottleneck the SQ I will save for a different sound card. I would have just went USB, but I've heard the quality suffers/a bunch of other stuff I didn't really understand -_-.

So there's that question, and is there anything else I need to know before I start dropping payloads of cash?
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbrickodaviso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for making so many friggen topics here that are similar in nature, but I think this is the last one for a good while and then I can actually 'contribute' to other topics
tongue.gif

I want my main source to be the PC. I have K701s and an RSA Hornet M (possibly a different amp but that's for the most part irrelevant). I know I need a sound card with an optical/whatever input and a DAC. Will the sound card's optical affect the sound of my rig? I ask because I'd like to have a nice DAC, amp and phones, and run them to the AV-710's optical...but if that will somehow bottleneck the SQ I will save for a different sound card. I would have just went USB, but I've heard the quality suffers/a bunch of other stuff I didn't really understand -_-.

So there's that question, and is there anything else I need to know before I start dropping payloads of cash?
biggrin.gif

If you're using the AV-710 optical output, then you are simply using it as a digital transport to an external dac. The signal bypasses the AV-710 D/A converter and is passed to your external dac via the optical out and a decent toslink cable. There should be no change in the sound per se.

I have the AV-710 and I run optical out to my Zhaolu Dac via a toslink cable. Because I don't use any DSPs in Foobar and based on my settings with the AV-710 Envy24 drivers, I have a bit-perfect signal entering my Zhaolu from the AV-710.

EDIT: If you don't plan on getting an external DAC, then I would recommend a better soundcard because in the case of no external DAC, then you are relying on the soundcard to do the digital to audio conversion and most dacs on soundcards aren't as good as those in external DACs. The X-Fi Platinum, Auzentech Meridian, and ESI Juli@ are some PCI (internal) soundcards to consider. You can also look at "external soundcards" which are devices that do the same as a PCI soundcard but hook to your pc via USB. The E-MU 0404 USB gets a lot of good press on these forums. If it were me, I would just get the AV-710; use it as a transport; and invest in a good external DAC.

May 24, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 16
1. No problem with USB here.
2. While an optical connection does eliminate ground loop issues, it introduces extra jitter. Use Coax instead, and only hop back to optical IF you experience ground loop issues.

May 24, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

Check out the component train in my sig. Then check out each part of it and see what other components that are comparable and then start building your system based on your research. Research computer forum, source forum, amp forum then headphone forum.

May 24, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonvB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. No problem with USB here.
2. While an optical connection does eliminate ground loop issues, it introduces extra jitter. Use Coax instead, and only hop back to optical IF you experience ground loop issues.

Even better, use coax with a small transformer on it as it will serve to eliminate ground problems. http://hagtech.com/hagusb.html

May 24, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 16
you can't go wrong with the av-170 optical output -> dac -> your hornet -> your ears. i havent experienced jitter with optical cables so maybe its a by user phenomenon (or my ears arent as good). i would spent the majority of my money on the headphones, then amp, then transport/dac.

May 24, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 16
I'm using a Benchmark DAC1 USB with two computers. My Powerbook is connected through USB, and the PC is connected by co-ax from the sound card. Both work perfectly. Output is to headphones using the DAC1's output, and to a power amp driving my speakers. The DAC1 has a switch that cycles through the inputs.

May 24, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're using the AV-710 optical output, then you are simply using it as a digital transport to an external dac. The signal bypasses the AV-710 D/A converter and is passed to your external dac via the optical out and a decent toslink cable. There should be no change in the sound per se.

I have the AV-710 and I run optical out to my Zhaolu Dac via a toslink cable. Because I don't use any DSPs in Foobar and based on my settings with the AV-710 Envy24 drivers, I have a bit-perfect signal entering my Zhaolu from the AV-710.

EDIT: If you don't plan on getting an external DAC, then I would recommend a better soundcard because in the case of no external DAC, then you are relying on the soundcard to do the digital to audio conversion and most dacs on soundcards aren't as good as those in external DACs. The X-Fi Platinum, Auzentech Meridian, and ESI Juli@ are some PCI (internal) soundcards to consider. You can also look at "external soundcards" which are devices that do the same as a PCI soundcard but hook to your pc via USB. The E-MU 0404 USB gets a lot of good press on these forums. If it were me, I would just get the AV-710; use it as a transport; and invest in a good external DAC.

Ecclesand,
Have you compared the high quality output on the 710 vs the Zhaolu?
I have a 710 that I'm going to use to output to my amp, I'm just debating if an external DAC is worth the additional expense.

May 24, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Chaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using a Benchmark DAC1 USB with two computers. My Powerbook is connected through USB, and the PC is connected by co-ax from the sound card. Both work perfectly. Output is to headphones using the DAC1's output, and to a power amp driving my speakers. The DAC1 has a switch that cycles through the inputs.

I also am using my Lavry DA10 with two inputs. One from the Oppo (optical) and the other from the M-Audio USB Audiophile (coax).

May 24, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ecclesand,
Have you compared the high quality output on the 710 vs the Zhaolu?
I have a 710 that I'm going to use to output to my amp, I'm just debating if an external DAC is worth the additional expense.

Yeah....in between my last DAC and this Zhaolu, I had nothing, so I used the Wolfson DAC on the AV710 (via the rear channel out). It sounded OK, but I have to say that when I got the Zhaolu and plugged it in, the Wolfson wasn't even close. The Zhaolu (AD1852) was much clearer with better extension across the frequency spectrum and offered better separation and bass slam. Also, FWIW, my Zhaolu is the older 1.3 model (which didn't have the output caps stock) with LM4562 opamps.

I'm currently looking to upgrade my Zhaolu, but I plan to keep my computer as primary source with the AV-710 as the digital transport.

May 24, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 16
I was thinking of running a Beresford TC-7510 DAC to the Chaintech's optical out. The Beresford supposedly sounds great and has an integrated amp. That way I'd have an amp for my K701s in the meantime while I sell my Hornet and get a home amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Couple of questions though...

Does it matter what kind of optical cable I get? I'm sure there are audiophile-quality ones but I looked up a few on newegg that are about 15.00 a piece that supposedly have reduced 'jitter.' There is also an option to buy this. Is that likely a good one?

Also,

Anyone here have any experience with the Beresford? I'd like to know if it's possible to bypass the amp and just use the DAC later. I'd also like some more input on its sound quality. Thanks for all the help so far everyone!

edit: should I order this with the Chaintech?

May 24, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

I was thinking of running a Beresford TC-7510 DAC to the Chaintech's optical out. The Beresford supposedly sounds great and has an integrated amp. That way I'd have an amp for my K701s in the meantime while I sell my Hornet and get a home amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Couple of questions though...

Does it matter what kind of optical cable I get? I'm sure there are audiophile-quality ones but I looked up a few on newegg that are about 15.00 a piece that supposedly have reduced 'jitter.' There is also an option to buy this. Is that likely a good one?

Also,

Anyone here have any experience with the Beresford? I'd like to know if it's possible to bypass the amp and just use the DAC later. I'd also like some more input on its sound quality. Thanks for all the help so far everyone!

No experience with the Beresford...I'm sure Herandu will be along to give his endorsement.
rolleyes.gif
As for the optical cable...check out monoprice.com.

May 24, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #13 of 16
Interesting, seems pretty cheap. Though if they don't differ too much in quality, I may go ahead and get those from newegg so that they will ship at the same time and I only have to fill out one order dealy. Is that safe?

edit: safe, as in, pretty safe to assume it won't sound like an arse. haha

May 26, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #14 of 16
bump, just because I really need to know if it's OK to go with that optical cable or if I need to go with someone else's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back