Anyone who ever tries making music has this problem?
Jan 10, 2015 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bahmah

New Head-Fier
Maybe It's just me but when I find a good "sound" and I quickly forget, it really bums me out. I had a dream where I was making music, I found a "sound" I liked and started singing part of it, then playing the rest on instruments(in the dream of course) and when I woke up - it's gone.

Maybe It's just me because I don't have any training, I'm just doing it for fun but when you create original sounds and then forget how it sounds, will you ever be lucky enough to think of it again? I feel like I lose something when this happens.

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 6
  Maybe It's just me but when I find a good "sound" and I quickly forget, it really bums me out. I had a dream where I was making music, I found a "sound" I liked and started singing part of it, then playing the rest on instruments(in the dream of course) and when I woke up - it's gone.

Maybe It's just me because I don't have any training, I'm just doing it for fun but when you create original sounds and then forget how it sounds, will you ever be lucky enough to think of it again? I feel like I lose something when this happens.

This happens to me all the time. I'll have this great riff worked out, maybe lyrics, even a whole piece of a song, and I won't have a pencil and paper or, because I can't exactly write music, I'll write it down and have lost how it goes or misunderstood what I wrote down. I too feel like I've lost something. I say I've written a lot of poems and write them more, when in reality, it's just the fact that I can write down poetry, but I often lose the songs I create and can't really write them down well.

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 6
Happens to me every few weeks, it seems. It's like my brain creates amazing music during dreams, and sometimes I remember shortly after waking up, but if I don't record at least the melody, it's usually gone forever. Makes me want to research lucid dreaming techniques.

Fortunately, I compose awesome music while awake as well. ^_^

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 6
What instruments does everyone here play/what do you create music for? Also, what kind of music do you write?

I'm a drummer (so I can read drum music, not all those fancy-shmancy guitar and piano stuffs), but think of and create music for guitar, piano, bass, and possibly soon the electric violin. I also write a lot of lyrics. I find it hard to write down any kind of notes and stuff that aren't for drums, because I can't really write music for other instruments. All those notes on different lines, weird shaped lines all over the place... 
tongue.gif

I write mostly rock music, either alternative or punk, though sometimes I enjoy writing stuff like Jason Mraz (Soft rock? Pop rock? Soft pop rock?) and occasionally metal. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 6
I do vocals, guitar, piano, and trombone.

I compose songs in just about any genre you can imagine. I tend to favor metal, electronic, and dramatic orchestral styles. Everything from normal album type of stuff to soundtracks for video games and television series I want to create someday. Most of them are just in my head. I usually just record a hummed melody. It would cost a huge amount of money to record them and make them sound the way I want them to, so I'll have to wait until much later to make them a reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back