anyone watch inception? what was the player?
Aug 19, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #17 of 24

Quote:
No weirder than bird watching or trainspotting. We are obsessed around here, and proud of it. The phrase "some portable player" suggests that you don't share that obsession, which is fine, but you are likely to make few friends on this forum by ridiculing the central topic of interest that knits this community together. Not a big deal. I'm just saying.

I've never thought of birdwatching or trainspotting as all that normal... 

Aug 20, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #18 of 24

Quote:
I've never thought of birdwatching or trainspotting as all that normal... 

A little obsessive perhaps, but I wouldn't say abnormal. Definitely more normal than collecting, say, lunch boxes or toasters. i actually had a boss once who collected TOASTERS. I asked her about it once, and she launched into a misty-eyed speech about the favorites in her collection and the ones that continued to elude her grasp. Somehow, checking locomotives or songbirds off of your list seems more normal to me.

As far as headphones go, I always find myself trying to identify the cans people are listening to as they walk by on the street. This elicits the occasional hostile glance, but it doesn't seem terribly abnormal to me. Perhaps the people who think I'm staring at them would disagree
biggrin.gif
. But it's also led to some cool conversations. I stopped a guy on a subway platform once because he was wearing SR-60s, and I was interested in his opinion of them. We ended up talking for a couple of minutes, and comparing notes on different phones we've tried.

As the saying goes, one man's ceiling is another man's floor.

Aug 20, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #19 of 24
^Yep yep. I haven't really had any encounters with headphones (although i can't wait for that to happen) but whenever I walk into an ATT store I always get the urge to help out people while I'm there. What can I say though; I'm a gadget nerd :)

Aug 24, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #20 of 24
I pick out the brands of fountain pens used in old movies, and new period flicks. 

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.

We aren't obsessed. We are inspired.

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #22 of 24

Quote:
I think you guys pretty much freaked him out to post again

He will probably tell his friends he visited a forum about headphones full of weirdos who like to look for PMPs in movies.
atsmile.gif

Dec 21, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #23 of 24
this post might be a little late... buuuut the player they use is DEFINATELY the nagra ares BB+

edit*** NOT the bb+ but The ARES-M

Dec 21, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #24 of 24

Living in New York City makes this a nice past time for my morning commute, though many of the headphones I see are stock iPod/iPhone buds and cheap corner store buds. Recently I have been seeing some PortaPros and Senns. I am always tempted to talk to some of the people I notice with better iems but usually its on the subway or in passing so it may and probably will be construed as an awkward encounter.
Quote:
A little obsessive perhaps, but I wouldn't say abnormal. Definitely more normal than collecting, say, lunch boxes or toasters. i actually had a boss once who collected TOASTERS. I asked her about it once, and she launched into a misty-eyed speech about the favorites in her collection and the ones that continued to elude her grasp. Somehow, checking locomotives or songbirds off of your list seems more normal to me.

As far as headphones go, I always find myself trying to identify the cans people are listening to as they walk by on the street. This elicits the occasional hostile glance, but it doesn't seem terribly abnormal to me. Perhaps the people who think I'm staring at them would disagree
biggrin.gif
. But it's also led to some cool conversations. I stopped a guy on a subway platform once because he was wearing SR-60s, and I was interested in his opinion of them. We ended up talking for a couple of minutes, and comparing notes on different phones we've tried.

As the saying goes, one man's ceiling is another man's floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back