Anyone using Windows Vista?
Jan 5, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #76 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by torjeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure you have a very good point there, but I just wanted to add that Apple actually did buy the new iTunes feature "CoverFlow" http://www.steelskies.com/coverflow/

I'm on ubuntu amd64 by the way. Carry on with the Vista discussion
wink.gif

True, true.

Jan 5, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #77 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm no windows fanboy but come on...10 gigs? No way. I'm running XP Pro with MS SQL 2005 on my Macbook Pro in a 10 gig partition and these alone take up 3.4 gigs. I have 4 gigs free and another gig or so of progs and then an encrypted drive.

No, XP is NOT 10 gigs. Not even on my home box which has all the bells and whistles...still at about 3 gigs.

hehehe. Ok if you say so man, I just did a reformat three weeks ago on the desktop and with all the service packs it's well over 8 gigabytes. -- Now that I think about it this COULD be because of the bloatware from the PC Manufacturer (part of it) However when discussing bloatware we're not just talking about size, but also performance.

And that's without Microsoft Office.

When I was talking about bloat, I was talking about ****** coding anyway. OS X's interface is incredibly intuitive and speedy. The search feature alone is amazing. Windows is still running from the very CLUNKY Registry, which as we all know requires you to reformat about every year or so because Microsoft's O.S Does a terrible job at keeping the registry clean, which means as time goes on the O.S. becomes more and more unpredictable.

The Mac's O.S. is a better product, and about the only thing you'll get me to agree on is that Apple is beginning to drop the ball with their software, IE: They are getting sloppy, but their product is still leaps and bounds better.

And OS X is a hell of a lot smaller compared to Vista, which, if you haven't noticed, is basically a CLONE of OS X, and a fat, bloated, buggy P.O.S. of a clone at that.

Neither company is immune to the fact that for some reason this year the hardware companies have decided not to hide the fact that they have climbed into bed with the software companies and are now going to start forcing users to upgrade hardware to use the software. And it's not just Apple and Microsoft either, it starts here but dribbles all the way down to needing Special DVD burners in order to burn movies. (Hollywood studio's just signed a deal with a new company that plans on offering movies for download with a new copyright protection that requires you to use special DVD burners. Fah.) The reason behind this is due to $$ of course, but the bigger reason behind it is that they know the gaming industry is dying on the desktop computers, and they have been preparing for it for the last several years.

With Consoles taking over the gaming market, PC Software and hardware makers are having to find new ways to keep people upgrading so that they can keep their big fat profit margins, and they have decided with forcing people to upgrade to use vital features that they have here-to-fore become accustomed to.

If consumers buy into it enough (and how will they not considering Microsoft and Apple is pushing the software driving the hardware market too), we're all going to be screwed.

Jan 6, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #78 of 96
No doubt XP is bloated. I don't dispute that, but the OS itself even when patched should not get to 10 gigs unless one includes programs as part of the OS install (a la Debian full install). But really, this is not fair to the OS.

I prefer using OS X any day of the week over XP. I prefer using Linux for most things over OS X but there are those days where everything just works with OS X and any performance enhancements I enjoy with linux simply don't match the overall goodness a Mac offers when things get the job down, no tinkering required. Tinkering costs time and money and these days, my time is so not worth having to debug or trouble shoot to get an app working under linux.

Heck even windows is better much of the time than linux on that front.

Jan 6, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #79 of 96
I have never had a problem with xp. it has always been very speedy. Vista is 8gigs no way is xp 8 gigs with all patches to date. Consoles may be taking over but they still don't look as good. Games like crysis look absolutely amazing. Consoles will never be able to do rts and fps like a windows pc can. Mac os is not better it is different. When I can game on it I may use it.

Linux with xgl though is simply elegant...actually it is sublime. With mac os as it is today all I need to do is head to the apple store and I can triple boot my system.

Jan 6, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #80 of 96
Quote:

Say you've just bought Pink Floyd's "The Dark Side of the Moon", released as a
Super Audio CD (SACD) in its 30th anniversary edition in 2003, and you want to
play it under Vista. Since the S/PDIF link to your amplifier/speakers is
regarded as insecure, Vista disables it, and you end up hearing a performance
by Marcel Marceau instead of Pink Floyd.

ROFL!

Jan 6, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #81 of 96
I'm still in the 98SE world; i.e., my family uses three Win 98SE installed desktop computers. Now I'd like to switch to notebook computers, and I'm trying to decide whether to wait for notebook computers with Vista installed. Since I have to learn a new OS anyway, does it make sense to put this effort into XP, when it's about to be replaced by Vista?

Jan 6, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #82 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still in the 98SE world; i.e., my family uses three Win 98SE installed desktop computers. Now I'd like to switch to notebook computers, and I'm trying to decide whether to wait for notebook computers with Vista installed. Since I have to learn a new OS anyway, does it make sense to put this effort into XP, when it's about to be replaced by Vista?

Vista is not radically different from XP, yes there are changes but learning XP will not mean learning Vista all over again. You'll pick it it up, heck, you'll pick up XP quickly if you're adequate at Win98.

Jan 7, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #83 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vista DRM paper linked above
Say you've just bought Pink Floyd's "The Dark Side of the Moon", released as a
Super Audio CD (SACD) in its 30th anniversary edition in 2003, and you want to
play it under Vista. Since the S/PDIF link to your amplifier/speakers is
regarded as insecure, Vista disables it, and you end up hearing a performance
by Marcel Marceau instead of Pink Floyd.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LithosZA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ROFL!

Dude, Marcel Marceau rocks. I have all his sh|t.

Jan 7, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #85 of 96
DRM is not something Microsoft invented, I don't see how Vista's DRM features could be considered as a bad thing. After all, DRM is the only way to access the new high-quality media formats on your PC.

Jan 7, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #86 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by LithosZA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, never heard of him before, but that quote just sounded funny
580smile.gif

That guy probably doesn't like Marcel Marceau alot.

Marcel Marceau is a mime.

Jan 24, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #87 of 96
I came into this thread looking for information about Vista audio support and all I find is a bunch of Apple and Linux people whining and thread crapping (in a mostly uninformed way I might add) about bloat and DRM. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to bash Microsoft in the Members Lounge? Those of us who are actually looking for answers and useful information would appreciate the lowered noise floor. It's pretty freakin' ridiculous right now.
rolleyes.gif

SO, YOU PEOPLE WHO ARE ACTUALLY USING VISTA - what's the deal with sound cards? I did a clean install of Vista Ultimate on a spare drive today and so far have been unable to get my ESI Juli@ working with it. I installed the XP drivers for it manually OK, but the JuliPan app won't run in the tray and I can't access any of the ASIO channels on the card. Anyone out there in a similiar situation?

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #88 of 96
Well, I'm back on XP until they can come up with a decent driver for my Echo Indigo. I could not get exclusive mode to work correctly with the xp driver in vista. and there was often a kind of stuttering effect when playing audio. (that was in any media player - i tried a few).

Maybe I'll try Vista again when it's got all the drivers I need.

and people need to stop posting that one article about vista, it's not particularly helpful. I mean the guy actually thinks he can play an SACD on a pc. Duh

I think the main thing is, that the manufacturers need to get Vista drivers done, and soon. Who want's a product you can't use on a brand new pc? (Assuming all new PC's will come with vista from next week on.)

Jan 24, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #89 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the main thing is, that the manufacturers need to get Vista drivers done, and soon. Who want's a product you can't use on a brand new pc? (Assuming all new PC's will come with vista from next week on.)

The fact is, when you break it all down. The Manufacturers are having a hell of a time getting drivers written for Vista.

I mean, it's taken XP, what, 5 years to become stable? It'll take that long with Vista too. hehe.

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #90 of 96
At this time my E-MU 1212m does not work with Vista (not really a surprise
tongue.gif
). EDIT: see below, I have gotten the E-MU to work.

I installed Vista only because my machine contracted Bagle, which was a serious ******* BI***, and prevented every avenue ridding myself of it (no safe mode, no Hijack This, no installing new programs, no scanning, failing and taken-over XP services everywhere).

Anywho, now that I have Vista running and connected to the Internets I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. No sound = less than useless (can't listen, can't work). I don't believe my onboard sound card is supported either.

As far as speed I upgraded from 512 to 1.5 of RAM prior to installation and everything seems to run pretty smoothly on a 3 ghz P4 with a 256 mb ATI clone. Of course I haven't actually run any real programs yet, so we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back