Anyone using Windows Vista?
Nov 27, 2006 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 96

seefeel

100+ Head-Fier
Would love to read some comments about how audio is in Vista. How is the "exclusive mode" feature? Any info about how the USB audio drivers are in Vista would be great to know as well.

Nov 29, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 96
My Chaintech AV-710 sounds better in Vista than in XP (no exclusive mode, though); EAC and Slimserver work well in Vista.

Dec 3, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 96
Did you get the rear output working for 2ch? Was this with the drivers provided through Windows Update?

Dec 3, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 96
^ because Linux owns windows, lol. I've got an old IBM Think pad 333mhz P2 with 128mb of ram that's running/scraping by on XP, it doesn't even have an ethernet port. I don't use it for anything other than internet browsing (because it'll explode), lol. But if I switched to my roots and used like Suse....that thing would be a beast, lol.

I dunno if I wanna goto Vista. Seems really hokey right now needing all those system resources. You can't just scrape by anymore, you gotta have a fairly dece system and video capabilities to even upgrade. ANd it's windows, the 1st 2 years it's out is gonna be horrible and full of bugs. Hell, they JUST NOW got it stable, and now you gotta goto a new version. Hence, the reason I still use W2K Pro on my main box.

Dec 3, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #6 of 96
My office runs windows based software and we're currently running XP Professional. My tech support group is encouraging me to go with Vista but I'm a bit leery of being an early adopter. I think I'll have them wait for a few months to let some of the bugs to surface and get worked out.

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #7 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My office runs windows based software and we're currently running XP Professional. My tech support group is encouraging me to go with Vista but I'm a bit leery of being an early adopter. I think I'll have them wait for a few months to let some of the bugs to surface and get worked out.

I'd strongly advise sticking with xp for a while longer. Vista may look pretty, but, like said above, it can't be all that stable. That is why I'm sticking with xp, I may dual boot vista for a while just for ***** and giggles, but, xp will be my main os till I can get gentoo working....

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #8 of 96
I un-installed vista 2 hrs after installing it. Terrible piece of trash from M$. Looking forward to SP3 for WinXP and Mac OS X v10.5 "Leopard"
icon10.gif

Dec 3, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #9 of 96
I was an official beta tester for Vista 32bit and 64 bit. Throughout the last year I have had a dedicated box for Vista which eventually dual booted XP. I now just have XP running. Vista is not my cup of tea, I'll put it that way, despite the numerous bugs I found, it is bloated, has more DRM than I care to ever invest in and the anticipated push for lockin is leaving me sick to my stomach. XP will be my final MS OS unless there is some dramatic changes with Vista SP1.

Dec 3, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #10 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was an official beta tester for Vista 32bit and 64 bit. Throughout the last year I have had a dedicated box for Vista which eventually dual booted XP. I now just have XP running. Vista is not my cup of tea, I'll put it that way, despite the numerous bugs I found, it is bloated, has more DRM than I care to ever invest in and the anticipated push for lockin is leaving me sick to my stomach. XP will be my final MS OS unless there is some dramatic changes with Vista SP1.

You should try out linux sir. No drm there!

Dec 3, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #11 of 96
I've been using linux for 11 years
smily_headphones1.gif
Presently it is Ubuntu, a Debian distro with stable upgrades every 6 months. I used to run Debian exclusively and have tossed around the idea for Gentoo (but compiling for days is not enticing). My laptops are OS X (with one dual booting to XP) and the home computers are XP, XP/Ubuntu and a FreeBSD gateway.

Dec 3, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #12 of 96
Gentoo does not require days of compiling if you use the stage 3 install. Ubuntu is nice, but, I never could get it to work right with my wireless card... But, you may want to try gentoo, it is highly customizable.

Dec 3, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #13 of 96
Suse = Linux version of Windows. It's extremely GU based, and it's RPM's are as close as you're gonna get to an exe. file style/click-install type of compile. I hated compiling and hunting down things. Perfect example is Gaim.. ***** ****** that the most work, for a small reward.

So if you like the ease of windows installing, but prefer the Linux flavor and lack of spyware/adware, virus BS...give Suse a try. I used it for 3 years before I got frustrated with trying upgrade hardware and getting it to work. It was my 1st experiance with Linux, and was a pleasent one with that aside. But if you've been using Linux for 11 years, I figure you got a pretty dece handle on how to get things to mesh.

But back on the topic of Vista, I saw it soaks up 15GB of space....holy crap. I like some of the features, but I'de feel like I was on a generic Apple, or perhaps a Linux distro, but with Windows BS.

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #14 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but I'de feel like I was on a generic Apple, or perhaps a Linux distro, but with Windows BS.

That's how I felt in the 12 hours I had it.

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #15 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But back on the topic of Vista, I saw it soaks up 15GB of space....holy crap. I like some of the features, but I'de feel like I was on a generic Apple, or perhaps a Linux distro, but with Windows BS.

Exactly. I would rather total Gnome or KDE bloatware or just buy a Mac desktop if I wanted all that eye candy. The thing is...you can have all that eye candy and not use up as many cpu cycles AND save yourself 10 Gigs of space if not more. Vista is a pig, plain and simple. With its lock-in "features" too...it is a big no for me and my fam. My wife is loving my hand-me-down powerbook G4. Her next comp will be another Mac laptop. Her desktop is the FreeBSD gateway now and my two main boxes are development systems, XP and my XP/Ubuntu workstation. For piece of mind I enjoy OS X via my Macbook Pro.

Vista offers gui candy that is cutting edge in some ways but is intended to drive the hardware sales market. Where is the awesome FS? Oh...we don't get that. The main reason to upgrade. Save for future hardware support, DX10, I can't think of a single reason to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back