Anyone using the Yiggy with a PC as source? (Regen, RUR, Intona, and more!)
Apr 12, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #16 of 21
I started out using a REGEN Amber and an AQJB into the USB port. This sounded so good that I bought a second Yggy so that I could have one in my HP system and another in my speaker system.

I then heard that many preferred the AES/EBU input to the Yggy. After a lot of reading I settled on the Mutec USB. I first tried it with just the Mutec using the onboard USB of my audio server. I then plugged it into my PPA v3 USB card. Next I added the REGEN back in and finally the AQJB. I am using the Mutec on my speaker system.

With each step it sounded better to me. I wanted to like just the onboard USB to the Mutec so that I could simplify my system but that did not pan out. I use an LPS for all of my devices that take a DC input.

I cannot say that I have been rigorous with my testing and comparisons but I do know that the Mutec made a nice difference.

PS. I would have gone for the Berkeley Alpha USB but just could not justify the expense. 

Apr 15, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #17 of 21
  I started out using a REGEN Amber and an AQJB into the USB port. This sounded so good that I bought a second Yggy so that I could have one in my HP system and another in my speaker system.

I then heard that many preferred the AES/EBU input to the Yggy. After a lot of reading I settled on the Mutec USB. I first tried it with just the Mutec using the onboard USB of my audio server. I then plugged it into my PPA v3 USB card. Next I added the REGEN back in and finally the AQJB. I am using the Mutec on my speaker system.

With each step it sounded better to me. I wanted to like just the onboard USB to the Mutec so that I could simplify my system but that did not pan out. I use an LPS for all of my devices that take a DC input.

I cannot say that I have been rigorous with my testing and comparisons but I do know that the Mutec made a nice difference.

PS. I would have gone for the Berkeley Alpha USB but just could not justify the expense. 

I have a Mutec 3+ USB inbound to pair with the Yggy as well. Currently, I am currently using the Wyrd feeding an Intona (sounds better with both in the chain), and I presume the Wyrd will remain in the chain once the Mutec arrives. We shall see what the testing brings. All in all, the Intona was a solid addition to the chain. Its calling card is separation of imaging. It does a great job of allowing overlapping elements to still sound whole and as their own entity, giving a sense of distance between them, yet still conveying a cohesive soundstage. In layman's terms, you can pick up instruments/voices better and follow their progression much easier.

Btw, which AES cable are you using. I am researching to get one to connect to the Yggy from the Mutec.

Apr 15, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #18 of 21
  I have a Mutec 3+ USB inbound to pair with the Yggy as well. Currently, I am currently using the Wyrd feeding an Intona (sounds better with both in the chain), and I presume the Wyrd will remain in the chain once the Mutec arrives. We shall see what the testing brings. All in all, the Intona was a solid addition to the chain. Its calling card is separation of imaging. It does a great job of allowing overlapping elements to still sound whole and as their own entity, giving a sense of distance between them, yet still conveying a cohesive soundstage. In layman's terms, you can pick up instruments/voices better and follow their progression much easier.

Btw, which AES cable are you using. I am researching to get one to connect to the Yggy from the Mutec.

I am using an Apogee Wyde Eye AES/EBU. Don't ask me how I picked it. I think that I just saw that someone over on The Computer Audiophile was using it with good results. Picked it up on Amazon.

Apr 15, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #19 of 21
  I am using an Apogee Wyde Eye AES/EBU. Don't ask me how I picked it. I think that I just saw that someone over on The Computer Audiophile was using it with good results. Picked it up on Amazon.

Thanks. Could you describe some of the benefits you feel the Mutec brought to your system?

Jan 17, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #20 of 21

Any updates? I'm interested in the Mutec MC3 as well. I use the Wyrd + Yggy and I already think the Yggy does a great job in usb cleaning/reclocking. I don't find any difference with/without the wyrd. I'm wondering if the MC3 will make any improvements for the asking price.

Jan 30, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #21 of 21
Any updates? I'm interested in the Mutec MC3 as well. I use the Wyrd + Yggy and I already think the Yggy does a great job in usb cleaning/reclocking. I don't find any difference with/without the wyrd. I'm wondering if the MC3 will make any improvements for the asking price.

The Mutec is definitely a keeper. I have since retired the Wyrd from my setup also - it was rendered useless once the Mutec came in. The intona has also been removed by the addition of the microrendu into my system. Chain is currently NAS - Microrendu - Mutec - Yggy. The sound is the best my system has ever been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back