Anyone using Sensaphonics on their motorcycle?
Nov 7, 2005 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

allan-of-ca

New Head-Fier
It appears that the Sensaphonics 2x-s provides better isolation (better fit because of the soft silicone) over the UE-10 and I am trying to determine if the isolation is good enough to use while riding a motorcycle. The ER-4P does provide great isolation but I wanted to get something better if I can. Therefore..

1. How good isolation does the Sensaphonics 2x-s provide? How much noise will you still be able to hear with 26db isolation earphones?
2. How much of the music will I be able to hear over the noise of the motorcycle?
3. Is the isolation good enough that it is worth buying expensive earphones like the Sensaphonics 2x-s?
4. How much do you really lose in the highs and clarity of the Sensaphonics over the UE-10's? Is it really that noticeable? (I know this already has been answered but I am trying to determine to what degree there is a difference).

Is there anyone using these earphones with their motorcycle?

Thanks
Allan

Nov 7, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by allan-of-ca
It appears that the Sensaphonics 2x-s provides better isolation (better fit because of the soft silicone) over the UE-10 and I am trying to determine if the isolation is good enough to use while riding a motorcycle. The ER-4P does provide great isolation but I wanted to get something better if I can. Therefore..

1. How good isolation does the Sensaphonics 2x-s provide? How much noise will you still be able to hear with 26db isolation earphones?
2. How much of the music will I be able to hear over the noise of the motorcycle?
3. Is the isolation good enough that it is worth buying expensive earphones like the Sensaphonics 2x-s?
4. How much do you really lose in the highs and clarity of the Sensaphonics over the UE-10's? Is it really that noticeable? (I know this already has been answered but I am trying to determine to what degree there is a difference).

Is there anyone using these earphones with their motorcycle?

Thanks
Allan

1) about -26db same as UE10 Pro. Some people owned both said UE10 Pro is better, but some said Sensaphonics is better. I would say it all depends on the fit. With -26db if the music is playing, you basically WILL not hear anything except when a truck or bus is about to roll over you.

2) When the music is playing, you should be able to hear nothing except your music when the fit is right.
3) Yes. or UE10 Pro
4) Not very noticable unless you are aiming for that special note.

And I highly recommand you DO NOT use it when you ride some motorcycle. Very Freaking danger.

Nov 8, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 20
What kind of helmet are you using? Full face or cruiser-style? If full face, how noisy is it? Arai quiet or OGK 'good-lord-I'm-in-a-hurricane'?

Oh, and riding with 26dB of isolation is useful for saving your hearing and combatting noise fatigue. I ride with earplugs all the time. However, riding with 26dB of isolation AND music in your ears is asking to get t-boned by a cage you didn't hear coming
blink.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 20
sorry,

but using this kind of hardware while riding your bike in traffic is just stupid and dangerous.

it is allready dangerous enough to walk with this things on, but driving is just insane.

my hint: dont do it!

regards gordon

Nov 8, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 20
I used to ride my Suzuki with Sony EX-71's and could still hear the noise of other vehicles. Of course, the isolation with those crappy headphones are pretty bad. The only danger I was in was damaging my hearing other than the usual motorcycle-negligent drivers. The volume of my portable had to be turned up way too loud to hear the music over the sound of the engine. I'm not sure how it would be with a real IEM, since I've stopped this practice. If you could still hear the vehicles around you and not be in the hearing damage zone I wouldn't see why not.

Nov 8, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 20
More of a cruiser style helmet and my ears are not covered. I doubt that I would be able to hear a car coming with my motorcycle unless I was stopped so I don't know if it makes much difference. Also, I don't know if there is very much difference riding with earplugs or earphones with music.

I did not think that the UE-10's get as good of a seal because of the harder material used. The majority of the posts I read seems to indicate this. A really good audiologist in San Francisco also told me this. Is this not true?

Thanks
Allan

Nov 8, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

More of a cruiser style helmet and my ears are not covered. I doubt that I would be able to hear a car coming with my motorcycle unless I was stopped so I don't know if it makes much difference. Also, I don't know if there is very much difference riding with earplugs or earphones with music.

I did not think that the UE-10's get as good of a seal because of the harder material used. The majority of the posts I read seems to indicate this. A really good audiologist in San Francisco also told me this. Is this not true?

Thanks
Allan

Is that a Harley you ride? No wonder you can't hear the cars around you. Easily twice as loud as my Suzuki Intruder. What would be the difference anyway? I think quite a lot of bikers wear ear plugs just to drown out the sound of their bike. It is quite enjoyable, I just didn't want to go deaf. There are stereo systems designed for motorcycles with amplified speakers as another option. I'm sure sq would take a hit, though...

Nov 8, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 20
Can't speak for anyone else, but if the seal (and resulting 'vacuum' feeling) on my 10's was any better, it might suck my eardrum out. Then again, are you using the tem 'seal' to describe the airtight nature of the fit, or the ability to attenuate external sounds? I'm of a mind that even with a perfect seal, hard acrylic might isolate just a *bit* less. I could be wrong, though... never owned the 2X's.

Nov 8, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Thanks
Allan

UE10 Pro is using hard material, and therefore, it will not adjust to your canal when you move your jaw. Therefore, you might be able to break the seal if you open your jaw wide open, but since you are using it for listening to music, I do not think you require that.

Nov 8, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Also, I don't know if there is very much difference riding with earplugs or earphones with music.

Personally I think it is a big difference. I typically wear earplugs when riding as well, however, the earplugs allow me to concentrate by removing/reducing distractions. If the earplugs attenuate 25dB (hypothetically) then you can still hear sirens, screeching brakes, etc. they just aren't as loud. However if you are playing music at 65dB on top of the 25dB reduction in ambient noise provided by the earplugs you may not hear/notice it at all (or at least not until it is too late)......

Ant

Nov 8, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #12 of 20
i ride with earplugs all the time. i feel it's much safer and more enjoyable than not wearing anything at all. it does get quite loud at freeway speeds. plus, it's legal to do so here in california.

i sometimes wear my er6i while riding, too, but it does make me somewhat less attentive to the road. it's not a matter of hearing other cars coming, but a matter of concentration.

oh - i don't know which would provide better isolation...universal fit IEMs provide the best isolation in general.

Nov 8, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonHo
sorry,

but using this kind of hardware while riding your bike in traffic is just stupid and dangerous.

it is allready dangerous enough to walk with this things on, but driving is just insane.

my hint: dont do it!

regards gordon

Do you say this from experience? I've never ridden in my life but from what I hear it's actually SAFER because when riding wind noise can reach levels of 90 dB or higher in the helmet, which is why hearing protection was recently legalized for riding in California was it?... I don't know if this is true for sure but if you don't know either I wouldn't start telling these guys how to ride. Just my thoughts.

Nov 8, 2005 at 12:16 PM Post #15 of 20
if you have a helmet that is producing 90db you should probably consider getting another one.

the fact is just, that you cannot hear anything arround you anymore, and at least in germany it is not allowed to drive that way.
and i think the reason is pretty obvious.

regards gordon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back