Anyone using Pre Equalization on their Tracks ?
Sep 12, 2011 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Damon88

New Head-Fier

I still remember the day i got my PSP and i had a perception that its music quality would be awesome i mean , how can u enjoy Gaming on the move without those Awesome Soundtracks and earth shaterring bass effects. And i still remember the moment i put some music in it and plugged in my IEM's i was like
confused_face_2.gif
  . and Lack of Eq made things equally dissapointing. And i seem to experience the same thing with my DAP, its Eq just doesnt provide the level of refinement in EQ i want.

And then it came to my mind , maybe i can just equalize the  tracks before i put them on my portable device. And it did yeild some pretty sweet results. Since that day i have been pre equalizing my sound tracks. Im mostly talking about equalizing the lower regions and not really fiddling with anything above 250 Hz. Because mostly Mids and Highs are handled quite well by portable players (im not an expert on this but acc. to me i feel like this).

Overall i think i cant seem to live without Pre Eq , putting plain tracks on my DAP just makes them sound too thin and muddy on the bass. And you might be thinking im just amping the bass but not really, I find it very nice to be able to tweak the bass in such a manner that it sounds Pleasant, Not too Boomy, not overpowering the mids and low emphasis on Mid Bass.
And not to mention if you have Bassheads IEM's which might not have the right texture of Bass you want , PreEq can come to ur Rescue. Recently got my new M31's and i dont really like the bass they pump out on Plain tracks. But now since ive Pre Eq'ed , The bass is really refined, Not Muddy at all, Not emphasised on Mid Bass, its super deep. Thats how i like it
L3000.gif

But i do agree its a rather long process to do this processing and also not to mention all the hit n trial you have to do to get that perfect equalization that suits your taste. Afterall its not REALTIME. And being a developer i figured out i can pretty much automate everything. And i did.(thats why i posted this
wink_face.gif
)

Used Sound Forge for processing Tracks, Created a Eq Preset which suited my needs. And to make things simpler i wrote a bridge between Sound forge and Winamp using the Sound forge SDK, Winamp is what i use always on pc to manage my music.

At last it came down to this simple few clicks process from choosing tracks to putting them in my DAP.

Create Playlist on Winamp >> Run Sound forge >> Run Batch converter (my bridge starts with it) >> Hit Run >> Tracks ready , fire them on ur DAP
tongue_smile.gif

Ah alright , you must be thinking what is this guy trying to say here, i have the solution already for my problems then why am i here ?

Well i thought maybe i can share my work with people who actually go through Pre Eq, it might make things easier for them.

But yea , if only someone else besides me does this fiddling with their Tracks that is.

I will be happy to share The Bridge if you are using Winamp, it will make ur life easier to batch convert your tracks because its painfully slow to load up mp3 files from multiple locations using default options in Sound Forge and it would have been almost a daunting task if Sound Forge was not there altogether, thankfully presence of these 2 really eased up the matter.

Ive been curious , i just wana ask you folks out there , how many of you actually do Pre Equalization on your music tracks ?

Or maybe someone wants to share their technique to get that perfect sounding music on their DAP.

Sep 13, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 4
I tried that with my iPhone 3 raising the lower treble for some track to overcome a deficiency with one pair of IEM's I has and it dis work but was also a lot of work :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back