Anyone using Denon 2910 as a source/transport?
Feb 26, 2008 at 7:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tight_budget

Head-Fier
The Denon 2910 is my primary source, hooked up via analog to a Firestone cuteamp. Headphones are HD600s.

Are there any Denon 2910 owners here who have compared it with and without an external DAC? Would I need to invest in an expensive DAC in order to surpass the built-in Denon DACs, or would a budget one (like the Fubar / Zero) improve upon the Denon?

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #2 of 6
Judging from my 2900, trying to truly surpass the built-in DAC of that unit with a DAC cheaper than the player itself will be a tricky endeavour. It may not be the last word in overall design/build quality, but it is a very well sounding player for the money, for both Redbook and SACD (and jolly good DVD picture too!). That's why it is still here
biggrin.gif
Nevertheless, you can still experiment all the way you want, maybe you like the Zero's sound better, who knows?

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #5 of 6
I have the Denon DVD-2910 and it is a very good player in it's stock form.
It has 192kHz/24-bit Burr-Brown DSD-1791 audio DACs, which to me sound very good. I did try to hook up a Entech 203.2 but preferred the stock DAC.

Mar 13, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #6 of 6
I would think that your player has a much better internal DAC, with better controlled power supply that your Firestone.

Now on the other hand, you might like the sound character of your external DAC better (especially if you have done some op amp rolling), and if so, you should stick with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back