Anyone using an se420 or se530 while exercising? Any issues?
Jan 27, 2008 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jonoh

100+ Head-Fier
hi,

My Shure E4s developed a problem so I can either send them in for repair (no longer under warranty) or upgrade to an SE420 or SE530.

Much of the use, but not all, will be while exercising at the gym (weights and also a lot of treadmill). The E4s have been great for this use.

My question is if anyone is using one of these SEs for exercising and if there have been any concerns to know about.

I am well aware of the SE530 cable problem.

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 7
bump...see if I get any responses.

I am about to just get another set of E4s as I am fearful that the plug on the SE series will bounce around a bit too much while moving about. It seems like a lot of people have the SEs and no one has mentioned this as a problem but...I tried some SE530s and the plug made the cords bounce around a lot while I did some soft jogging in place. The bounces turned to thuds in my ear. I really did not have this problem with the E4s and since most of my listening is at the gym, I suspect that while I like the SE530s a lot more for sound, the E4 is a lot cheaper and has worked for me in the past.

Still...I really did like the sound of the SE530s.

Feb 11, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 7
I have the E500s.

I have no problems wearing them to the gym or to jog.

I run the cables around the front of my neck and down the front of my shirt.

If i run them downthe back of my shirt, the tshirt grabs the rubber thingy thats slides up and down and keeps the wires together - that bothered me - so i moved it to the front.

No problems.

Feb 11, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 7
I get very annoyed with cords while I exercise or work. The only solution I can stand is a clip mp3 player- 2nd gen shuffle, or sansa clip (far superior)- clipped to my collar and the Shure stem cord. The stem cord is about 20" which is just enough to reach with a little slack. The additional short cord works too, but I find even that a bit bulky. It would be very difficult to get this setup caught on anything and it is about as light weight as it gets.

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 7
I don't have any problems with the SE530's while using weights; however, running is a little different. I found (like the OP) that the plug tended to bounce around, and I remember that the first time I went for a jog with it, the plug bounced off my chest with every stride. You may be able to prevent this by altering the angle of your cords or by regulating the amount of slack or maybe by some other means, but personally, it was too much of a hassle. If you are ok with passing up the sonic improvements of the SE530 over the E4 (at least while jogging), I would suggest sticking to your tried and tested earphone for the gym.

Kind of as an aside, I actually don't do cardio and weights on the same day, so I use my SE530's on weight training days and my KSC75 for cardio days; it works well for me, since I'm not really looking to pick out any musical details while I'm running for my life. Heh. I'm not sure what you listen to while jogging, but I fire up my dance and techno tracks, and I find that any decent, sturdy headphone gets the job done.

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonoh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi,

My Shure E4s developed a problem so I can either send them in for repair (no longer under warranty) or upgrade to an SE420 or SE530.

Much of the use, but not all, will be while exercising at the gym (weights and also a lot of treadmill). The E4s have been great for this use.

My question is if anyone is using one of these SEs for exercising and if there have been any concerns to know about.

I am well aware of the SE530 cable problem.

I've thought about this, I've ridden my bike with the E4's and flex sleeves and they've worked out well (very low volume, deliberately trying to not get too good a seal in both ears).. Tho the flex sleeves don't stay in my ears that well. Anything indoors where you're sweating, I don't think the SE530's case would keep sweat out very well, there seems to be a gap between the 2 halves of the shell.

cable problem: I think my E500 /SE530 RMA experience has been as bad as anybody's...

Feb 12, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #7 of 7
Has anyone had any problems with the tight seal causing pressure problems when you run / walk around with them on. I have heard that similar designs can cause people to hear their joints moving around while moving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back