Anyone Using A Subwoofer With The NuForce HDP?
Feb 5, 2012 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ben_r_

500+ Head-Fier
Okay, now yes I do understand that so some out there this question sounds a bit weird, but there really is something to it. We all know that subwoofers bring much more than low end sounds. The air they move and the sound pressures they create alone add a physical element to music that I truly enjoy. That being said I recently bought a set of Sennheiser HD-650 cans and a NuForce HDP and while researching (which Ive been doing for months now) different routes to go I fell upon the NuForce website that states the following:

Quote:
Subwoofer connection - a RCA male to two RCA female AudioQuest adapter can be used to provide extra connection to subwoofer.

This is possible because the P in HDP is for the pre-amp outs featured in the HDP. This intrigued me for obvious reasons as I LOVE the sound of my HD-650's and at this point in time think that the addition of a subwoofer would make me enjoy my listening experience even more.

I found the adapter NuForce was referring to at Amazon for $10: LINK
And I was thinking of a cheap simple little subwoofer to start out with just to see how it works and what I think. I was kicking around this little guy: LINK or maybe this: LINK

So my question it this: Are there any of you out there using a subwoofer with your HP/DAC/Amp setup, even better, are you using the HPD, and how are you liking it? Thanks in advance for your opinions and help folks!

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 7
Hi,

The way you want to implement the splitter is fine but make sure to adjust the volume accordingly. I've done this and it works nicely indeed.

Of the two subs you have linked to, the Polk-Audio one would be superior IMO. Generally their speaker are consumer grade but still rather good. Much better than most offerings.

I have not tried the HDP however, sorry man, can't help ya there.

Quote:
Okay, now yes I do understand that so some out there this question sounds a bit weird, but there really is something to it. We all know that subwoofers bring much more than low end sounds. The air they move and the sound pressures they create alone add a physical element to music that I truly enjoy. That being said I recently bought a set of Sennheiser HD-650 cans and a NuForce HDP and while researching (which Ive been doing for months now) different routes to go I fell upon the NuForce website that states the following:

This is possible because the P in HDP is for the pre-amp outs featured in the HDP. This intrigued me for obvious reasons as I LOVE the sound of my HD-650's and at this point in time think that the addition of a subwoofer would make me enjoy my listening experience even more.

I found the adapter NuForce was referring to at Amazon for $10: LINK
And I was thinking of a cheap simple little subwoofer to start out with just to see how it works and what I think. I was kicking around this little guy: LINK or maybe this: LINK

So my question it this: Are there any of you out there using a subwoofer with your HP/DAC/Amp setup, even better, are you using the HPD, and how are you liking it? Thanks in advance for your opinions and help folks!

Feb 6, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
Hi,

The way you want to implement the splitter is fine but make sure to adjust the volume accordingly. I've done this and it works nicely indeed.

Of the two subs you have linked to, the Polk-Audio one would be superior IMO. Generally their speaker are consumer grade but still rather good. Much better than most offerings.

I have not tried the HDP however, sorry man, can't help ya there.

Awesome, thanks for the comment. Yea I was going back and forth on the subs because the Yamaha is 100 watts RMS and the Polk is only 50 watts RMS and $15 cheaper. But The reviews are pretty impressive on the Polk. I dont know, might just buy them both, try and then pick one. We'll see.

Feb 6, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 7
True, why don't you just buy both then? You may like the Yamaha more in the end. Also power ratings on these can be trickery of the manufacturer so watch out. Polk is reliable IMO but trust your own ears :)

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the comment. Yea I was going back and forth on the subs because the Yamaha is 100 watts RMS and the Polk is only 50 watts RMS and $15 cheaper. But The reviews are pretty impressive on the Polk. I dont know, might just buy them both, try and then pick one. We'll see.

Feb 8, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 7
If I'm reading this right you want to use a subwoofer while using the HD650 (first time I've heard of anyone wanting to do this). In that case you really don't need the splitter since you can connect the subwoofer directly to the HDP's pre out. 

Feb 8, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
If I'm reading this right you want to use a subwoofer while using the HD650 (first time I've heard of anyone wanting to do this). In that case you really don't need the splitter since you can connect the subwoofer directly to the HDP's pre out. 

Yes thats correct on both counts. I was thinking of picking up the splitter in case I ever wanted to connect some monitor speakers to the HDP at the same time, but yea the way I worded it came out wrong.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #7 of 7
After doing a bit more research it looks like once a headphone is plugged into the HDP's headphone port in the front the RCA outs on the back are disabled, so feeding a sub wouldnt work. Apparently the adapter suggestion from NuForce is when using the HDP as a pre-amp and having the RCA outs feed a set of monitors and then using the adapter to break out one of the outs to a sub. So oh well, so much for that. Guess this just means Ill have to get myself that set of KRK monitors and sub I have been looking at! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back