Anyone using a PS3 Slim as their transport?
Sep 7, 2010 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

leng jai

1000+ Head-Fier
So I've been using my Samsung laptop as a transport for the DacMagic via USB and I'm looking for a solution that involves optical.

I've got a PS3 Slim here which I've been thinking can be used a CDP/Transport to the Dacmagic via optical. I haven't tried this yet as I'm still waiting for my 5m toslink cable to come in the mail. Is anyone here using this sort of setup? Or does anyone have an experiences about using a PS3 as a transport/CDP?

Sep 8, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 3
I don´t have music related experience, but I have my PS3 hooked to a NuForce Icon HDP (HDMI to TV, optical from TV to HDP). I´ve been very suprised at how good it sounds in movies and games. Movies that have music in them have been fantastic. Really brings everything alive.

EDIT: Tried to playback some music... To be honest I wasn´t that impressed, it´s ok but nothing special. Music in bluray movies sounds way better than from CD´s. This is just a 10 minute impression though, so don´t take these comments that seriously. I hope someone else can answer better...

Sep 8, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 3
Well the toslink cable came yesterday and I spent some time with it last night. It definitely appears to be a step up from my laptop running USB. Hard to say at this stage if its just placebo, but there seemed to be more detail and added bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back