anyone using a PDA for GPS?...
Mar 18, 2005 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

slick

100+ Head-Fier
i was thinking about getting a PDA again, my friend wants to get rid of his PDA for some quick cash, so i would end up getting a killer deal (an HP hx4700 for $300).
i was thinking about using it for a GPS in my car. there is a lot out there, but i was wondering if anyone here had a PDA and used it for GPS (seems like head-fiers are quite fond of gadgets
smily_headphones1.gif
)

and while we are on the PDA subject, what else do you typically use the PDA for?

Mar 18, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 12
I have an old handspring visor using a magellan gps springboard.
This is considered old technology because I think they upgraded the gps tracking system to be more accurate.
Mine has been used as a backup to maps and has helped us get back to where we should be.
Color screens will help.
I've used my pda as a mp3 player, it was nice too but drained the batteries in a day.

Mar 18, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 12
I have a Dell Axim X5 Advanced.

I sync Outllok @ home nd at the office with the Axim.
I have a couple of movies on the CF card.
I have many games stored on the SD card.
I use it for wireless internet in the house.
I have my personal finances (Quicken) on it - syncs with main computer
I carry around various spreadsheets
I have Repligo - aprogram that I can print any document to the PDA
I live and die with the scheduler (I use Agenda Fusion)
Contacts, Tasks, email when I need it on the run
I take notes @ meeting on it

I debated getting a CF GPS, but decided that since I'm not directionally challenged, I should use my money elsewhere.

Mar 18, 2005 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 12
I use an Ipaq 3970, Bluetooth GPS unit and Tom Tom Navigation software.

Could almost do away with road maps (but always keep one just in case), it's great in the UK the only minor niggles is that the weak link is the map data can be lagging behind new roads etc.

Much better navigator than the wife!

Oh the PDA also keeps my diary, notes, phine numbers and gets synched to my home and office PC and I use Word and Excel on it rather than carrying a laptop.

Mar 18, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #6 of 12
I had a Palm V that I used with a Rand MacNally GPS receiver several years ago. While I liked and continue to use the Palm system (in its latest iteration), the GPS function was highly unsatisfactory. Cledgey interface, bad reception, software issues, screen resolution issues. Now I'm happy with a Garmin GPS60CS and a Treo 650 (GPS marker disabled
biggrin.gif
).

Mar 18, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 12
I use a Toshiba e570 with a GlobalSat BC307 and Destinator 3 software. Having had it, I now wouldn't be without it (especially the safety camera POI database). The Toshiba was woefully under-utilised before I bought the GPS add ons. It's now in daily use.

Mar 19, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #8 of 12
i think i'm going to try out the tom tom navigator, they are releasing a new version in the next couple months that supports my PDA.

btw, anyone change the browser on there PDA yet? i hear opera for PDA is nice but i dont want to buy it blindly.

Mar 19, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #9 of 12
the only 3 things you need to be sure of with a pda for car gps use are as follows:
has loads of memory (most have removeable/replaceable cards, so this is moot)

has a daylight visible screan. take it outside in the full bright sunlight, and see if you can read everything.

and 3 the software available for it canot suck. historically, this was the limiting factor to gps use on pda's. the 2 software programs available were terrible and didnt run on everything. newer ones may be (are probably) better, but check up on it first. this actually applys to everything. i have a useless $1500 laser printer because xerox has not made a driver compatable with anything above win95....

Mar 19, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #10 of 12
lots of memory here, a 4gb microdrive. it can be seen in the daylight just fine.
lastly the software.
i decided on tom tom because it looks like they make there software work overseas in europe also. and they are developing new stuff for it (in europe, they will have a real time traffic updater). most PDA forums say this is one of the, if not, the best GPS software for pocket pc.
now its a matter of finding a nice dock/cradle for use in my car.

Mar 19, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #11 of 12
I've been using GPS software for several years. First I used Mapopolis with a variety of Sony's and Palms and now I use CoPilot Live with an HP 6315. The CoPilot software is excellent. It's very stable and never crashes on me. A rare thing in my experience with Pocket PC's. The maps for a large city are fairly small, usually less than 10mb. The CoPilot software is also very good at finding addresses and POI's, much better than Mapopolis. I connect with a Socket Bluetooth GPS - nice, no wires and it's easy to position for best reception. I've also heard that the Tom Tom software is very good, but have never used it.

Mar 19, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #12 of 12
I'm waiting for something like the PalmOne 650, with GPS. When I got my Palm m505 a few years ago, GPS was one of the #1 things I wanted as an accessory... but it ended up costing too much and taking too long to arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back