Anyone using a new Zen?
Apr 24, 2008 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Sparky191

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone using a new Zen? What card are you using in it. Whats your opinion of it? I like my A818 but was looking for something with more capacity and a radio. I have a 160GB iPod but its giving me problems. So I think it will have to go back.

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 18
He means SD card, the Zen has an expansion slot, though it's kind of crippled, since music isn't integrated into the library and it doesn't have all the functions music on the internal memory does.

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He means SD card, the Zen has an expansion slot, though it's kind of crippled, since music isn't integrated into the library and it doesn't have all the functions music on the internal memory does.

I knew it wasn't integrated into the main library but what are the other limitations?

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by x-kevin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You went for a Zen over an A818??

The A818 is way better SQ.

Thats not what I posted mate. I said have an A818. I've just being playing with a colleagues 16GB Zen though. Couldn't get video on it. None of the video stuff I have on my 818 works on it. Didn't have a DivX encoder installed though, so didn't try that.

What do you mean by "way better". Back to back using the EX82 phones in a very unscientific test in the office I'd say give the Zen 7/10 the Sony 9/10. I thing the Sony really needs better earphones to get the best out of it.

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #9 of 18
X2 on the Cowon D2, beats the Zen, anyday.

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I knew it wasn't integrated into the main library but what are the other limitations?

I believe you don't have playlisting options, and if you leave the "Now Playing" screen while playing music from the SD card the music stops playing. I don't have one though, that's just what I remember reading, maybe someone who owns one can confirm.

I would personally suggest you look at the Cowon D2. Maybe the Sansa Fuze if video isn't so important (and you'd be ok with MicroSDHC instead of full size).

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by woopididi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe a Cowon D2?

The reason I didn't go with a D2 or a iAudio7 was the lack of buttons. I love buttons. I dislike the lack of buttons on the iPod too. Though I've the radio remote for that. I reckon I'd love the sound of the D2 or iAudio7 though. I love the filetree support too.

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe you don't have playlisting options, and if you leave the "Now Playing" screen while playing music from the SD card the music stops playing. I don't have one though, that's just what I remember reading, maybe someone who owns one can confirm.

I would personally suggest you look at the Cowon D2. Maybe the Sansa Fuze if video isn't so important (and you'd be ok with MicroSDHC instead of full size).

Didn't hear that. Is the library integrated on the D2? Might have to live without the buttons.

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #13 of 18
The ID3 based library is integrated on the D2, the folder browser maintains the separate structure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back