Anyone used the AKG/SAC K1000 amp for other headphones? any good?
Dec 18, 2005 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jimbobuk

100+ Head-Fier
Having just received mine and been loving it when i've tried it with the K1000, i just wondered if anyone had fashioned an adapter to let it drive standard cabled headphones.. Whether this was even possible, and if so how it would/did sound? Its surely got more muscle than anything could ask for, but does it shine with any other headphones apart from the K1000?

Cheers, and merry Christmas to all

Jim

Dec 18, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #2 of 8
Congrats on the new amp!

Yes, it works great with other headphones. I hate adapters, so I just changed one of the sockets to a TRS. Very easy mod, and the grounds are common anyway.

gerG

Dec 18, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 8
Yep, as gerg has stated the grounds are common, so an adapter works easily, as does modding it to have a 1/4" jack, but AFAIK, there aren't any drop in 1/4" jacks that fit the rectangular opening properly, without tilting it, and having gaps showing. Well, as far as the 1/4" panel jacks that Neutrik makes at least.

-Ed

Dec 18, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 8
I'd prefer to go an adapter route, although long term the changed socket sounds preferrable, i'm so crap in the modding front though that it scares me
smily_headphones1.gif
I worried (in my other thread about K1000 extension leads) that the socket was strangely tilted from what would look like a normal XLR 4 pin plug.

Good to know it does the job with other headphones. Quite interesting an idea that one. An adapter will have to happen. I just need some good quality input switcher and i may finally put my old intergrated speaker amp to rest in driving headphones at least.

Cheers guys.

Dec 19, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 8
Could someone elaborate on the "grounds are common" statement you guys made, I don't quite get it. I've found a shot from the manual i think of the stock extension lead.

http://jimtreats.com/k1000/amp/k-1000_stock_lead.jpg

I don't see any common ground on this, sorry I'm a bit stupid. Again just would like to know everything before attempting to get an adapter built.

Cheers

Jim

Dec 20, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 8
I recently bought K340 mod from headphile, and I asked him to change plug to K1000 style 4pin XLR. I also got a 4pin-XLR to 1/4 adapter from him. So I can enjoy K340 with both SAC K1000 amp and other normal headphone amp.
K340/SAC combo sound fantastic for wider soundstage. The 4pin XLR connection must be great for sound separation.
I will post brief comment and pics shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back